Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)
AlBoning
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: dpwoos]
      #6100058 - 09/25/13 10:13 AM

I've done that, use a Sharpie to blacken the bevel of the primary mirror, and I took it a bit further. I made an annular baffle from a plastic divider for a 3-ring binder, covered it with adhesive backed flocking paper, and mounted it on top of the mirror clips. Can't say if it made any difference, it certainly didn't change the star test any. Which leads me to conclude there is no turned down edge. Next time I remove the primary I'll likely remove the baffle.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Wingryder]
      #6102202 - 09/26/13 11:50 AM

Welcome, Wingryder, and enjoy the new scope!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: dpwoos]
      #6107429 - 09/29/13 12:49 PM

Quote:

I replaced the focuser tension screw with a hex screw because I kept tightening and loosening the wrong one when viewing.

You could have just removed the bottom thumb screw from your Crayford focuser altogether, (which is a focus lock screw), rather than replace the top thumb screw, (which makes the focusing tight or loose), instead.

I have the bottom one on mine right off.

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6113549 - 10/02/13 04:50 PM

I do most of my viewing from my driveway so I just roll my Z-12 out of the grage where I keep it. I have my Z-12 on rollers so it just rolls out and back in when I am done for the night. When setting up for a night of viewing I set a old box fan behind my scope and turn it on low so it cools my scope down in no time flat, I keep the fan on it most of the night. This is really a very nice scope and very easy to setup and use now my other two scope get use very little. Thanks to all you folks, you are great and very helpful clear skys.

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: George Methvin]
      #6114880 - 10/03/13 10:40 AM

Well I just order a EZCBP equatorial platform for my Z-12 dob, can't wait to get it going.....NICE.

Spyke
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Scotland
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: George Methvin]
      #6118934 - 10/05/13 12:12 PM

I'm inches away from placing an order for a GSO 10" f5 Dob, which I assume is going to be very similar in construction to these Zhumell Dobs. I like a lot of the mechanical modifications made - the secondary collimation screws, the milk jug washer for secondary, flocking, replacement of collimation springs, etc...

But I would very much like to keep the cost of these "add-ons" to an absolute minimum. I'll read through all the posts again to see what I can pick up, but I'd like to know the cheapest options with the biggest paybacks.

Also, when using the secondary milk jug washer mod, how exactly is it placed? I presume the secondary mirror is removed completely - are there any problems with doing this?

Thanks,

Ant

StarCurious

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: York Region, Ontario
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #6119068 - 10/05/13 01:45 PM

For my Z10 with a 22 inch base, I had a 24 inch setting circle printed and laminated at Staples. A setting circle same size as the base would have meant cutting the base.

I put Velcro tape on the quadrant of the mount to allow me to move around an LED light/paper clip pointer combo. The square base allows me to roughly align quickly to the North. Then I have an OTA mounted 10 inch tablet with Sky Safari Plus to tell me the actual coordinates of an "alignment star", and move the pointer to the more accurate position.

Together with an inclinometer, also with a tiny LED flash light attached with magnet, this set up is my PUSHTO.

I would like to thank CN contributors for the may great ideas, especially on this thread.

StarCurious

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: York Region, Ontario
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: StarCurious]
      #6119438 - 10/05/13 06:23 PM Attachment (78 downloads)

Picture

Tom Andrews
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/25/07

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: StarCurious]
      #6121380 - 10/06/13 09:59 PM

Quote:

For my Z10 with a 22 inch base, I had a 24 inch setting circle printed and laminated at Staples. A setting circle same size as the base would have meant cutting the base.

I put Velcro tape on the quadrant of the mount to allow me to move around an LED light/paper clip pointer combo. The square base allows me to roughly align quickly to the North. Then I have an OTA mounted 10 inch tablet with Sky Safari Plus to tell me the actual coordinates of an "alignment star", and move the pointer to the more accurate position.

Together with an inclinometer, also with a tiny LED flash light attached with magnet, this set up is my PUSHTO.

I would like to thank CN contributors for the may great ideas, especially on this thread.

Great idea! Makes things so easy and no damage to the scope. Good use of your brain/imagination.

woodscavenger
sage

Reged: 08/20/13

Loc: Boise, ID
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tom Andrews]
      #6126035 - 10/08/13 10:48 PM

I added a rotating removable tabletop. You can see the details in this post. Rotating tabletop

VikingRaider
sage

Reged: 01/29/08

Loc: Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Hiss Drive Rover for my Z8" new [Re: Tim L]
      #6146523 - 10/19/13 11:47 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

I posted this over in the ATM forum but I had to attach it here as well, if nothing else than to give the thread a bump

I built a hiss drive my 8" Zhumell this week (and as of yet haven't been able to test it because of... you guessed it...cloudy nights) as my (hopefully) triumphant return to astronomy and woodworking after a back injury that sidelined me for the last almost three months.

Only, I added wheels to make the drive (and the telescope on top) mobile, so I can wheel it out of my garage and observe, and hopefully be able to track objects with it. The project has been in on the back burner for about a year ever since I came across Tom Fangrow's webpage about his(from 1985!). Best part was, it only added 2" to the overall height of the base+scope that I have been observing with for the last few years.

I have since been able to find a few other forums talking about it and a handful of pictures, but honestly there's not much out there that I can find. So I decided to make my own and document every step so that someone like me can come along after me and have a little more info.

Since hurting my back, I have come to realize the appeal of smaller SCTs with goto mounts but even the Nexstars are out of my price range. One day....

This whole project cost me less than $50, using wood leftover from other projects and tools I already had. I had to purchase a bicycle pump, aquarium supplies (hose, valves, etc) and an inner-tube. I scavenged some of the wood and the wheels from the old yard canon base.

It was a fun build, and I still have some tweaking to do (as explained in the blog entires) but it's about 95% done and ready for testing, as soon as the skies clear. Right now it's mid-morning and there is a crystal clear sky out there teasing me. Hopefully it holds until sunset!

For your convenience, I've linked the blog entries in order below if you want to check it out. Rest assured that once I give it a whirl I'll report back and let you know if all the effort and planning and dreaming was worth it lol

Part I: Hiss Drive Rover

Part II: Back to the Drawing Board

Part III: Version 2.0

Part IV: Adding Support and Wheels

Part V: Attaching the Top Half

Part VI: The Lever, and Attaching the Top Half, Part Deux

Part VII: Assembling the Drive

Thanks for looking.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Hiss Drive Rover for my Z8" new [Re: VikingRaider]
      #6146945 - 10/19/13 03:52 PM

So you don't sit while observing?

Mike

VikingRaider
sage

Reged: 01/29/08

Loc: Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Re: Hiss Drive Rover for my Z8" new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6148042 - 10/20/13 09:09 AM

Mike,

No, not generally---it's a sort of trade off for me. I find that on it's old mount the scope was perfectly suited for me to stand. After a decade of retail management, I'm used to standing for 12 hours a day. Sitting down has actually gotten less comfortable (unless I'm on a couch on game day) over the years.

Combine that with a recent back injury this summer and sitting down is now downright painful---albeit a LOT less so than three months ago.

With this thing on wheels, I can pull it out quickly and easily. I can let it sit and cool down, then come out later and get right to it, without dragging a chair along. Plus I am just tall enough that in a chair, unless I'm looking at the zenith (or near it) I have to hunch over to comfortably view in the eyepeice. I figured, if I have to build a base to raise the scope, why not make one so I can stand? Additionally, with the unpredictability of my kids (4 and 2 and 1 in the oven) I sometimes (read that often) have to abort a session to comfort, clean, or feed someone in the wee hours before dawn (my only real observing time), requiring me to very quickly bring the scope inside. With it's wheeled base, I just grab it and roll. Thanks to my back, bending over to pick up the scope is right out. At least for the foreseeable future.

My solution is really a goto sct in the 6-8" range. Quick set up, quick cool down, no messing around with nudging and star hopping....I get such little time to observe and need to make the most of it. Alas, that is not in the stars. Too expensive on a one salary home.

So...LOL in a word, the answer to your question is yes. Got a little long winded there...

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Hiss Drive Rover for my Z8" new [Re: VikingRaider]
      #6154818 - 10/24/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

So you don't sit while observing?

Mike

I don't either.

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Spyke]
      #6157306 - 10/25/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

I'm inches away from placing an order for a GSO 10" f5 Dob, which I assume is going to be very similar in construction to these Zhumell Dobs. I like a lot of the mechanical modifications made - the secondary collimation screws, the milk jug washer for secondary, flocking, replacement of collimation springs, etc...

But I would very much like to keep the cost of these "add-ons" to an absolute minimum. I'll read through all the posts again to see what I can pick up, but I'd like to know the cheapest options with the biggest paybacks.

Also, when using the secondary milk jug washer mod, how exactly is it placed? I presume the secondary mirror is removed completely - are there any problems with doing this?

Thanks,

Ant

Hi Ant

I removed the secondary to install the milk jug washer but it can be done without dismantling. Jason's diagram in this thread shows how....

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5854490/Main...

I also modified the primary cell to allow the mirror to float unrestrained and allow easier removal...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/177069-gso-mirror-cell-improvements/

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Damo636]
      #6157491 - 10/25/13 01:35 PM

Counter weights for heavy eyepieces and added goodies to focuser area. I will have an Apertura AD12 first of the year and am going to install a Scope stuff rail system with a sliding counter weight to off set heavy eyepieces etc. I have had the system on several of my dobs and it really works good. They have a rail 24 inches long that attaches with two sided tape to the scope. You can get a 1 or 2 pound weight that is mounted to a rail car that moves up & down the track. You can get the rail car by itself and add your own weight. It is a clean looking system and it works.
Thanks

Bill

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6157875 - 10/25/13 05:24 PM

I have quite a bit of accessorizing done on my Z12 and have not had to do any weight rail. The adjustable bearings are very good and I still have about a quarter inch left to slide the tube rearward. (I have a Telrad, 2" Telrad riser, 9x50 finder, filter slide, filters, and full flocking that all add weight forward of the bearings.) You may not need a rail unless you're binoviewing. I've had no troubles even when using a 13 Ethos.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6200913 - 11/17/13 11:55 PM

Bump. This thread was getting buried.

DonY

Reged: 08/29/13

Loc: Leesburg, VA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6201162 - 11/18/13 07:17 AM

For my Z10 I use a 2# soft weight from my SCUBA gear tucked under a bungee cord wrapped around the mirror end of the scope. I need this when using my heaviest eyepiece. My scope has a Telrad, the 5x view finder and an inclinometer on the scope. I couldn't obtain perfect balance with the adjustable pivot point/friction adjustment with all EP combos and/or viewing altitudes so trade off was to set pivot point to balance with my lighter EPs for viewing above 30*. If I'd set balance for heaviest EPs then lighter EPs would have required counter weighting on the EP end of scope which I didn't want to do.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: DonY]
      #6201647 - 11/18/13 12:42 PM

Don, how well do you like your Halo? I'm thinking of getting one for a push-to rig. It would go on my buddy's stock Z12.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics