Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
Elroy

Reged: 11/22/13

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6313587 - 01/15/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

I used the Protostar flocking board. Its plastic backing is springy, wanting to keep it against the tube. I used small pieces of the 3M premium foam adhesive tape (has red release plastic) as insurance. I also used the OTA's bolts to hold the flocking in place. You'll want new Exacto knife blades and the brightest work lights available as you go. It gets harder and harder to see what you're doing as the flocking is installed. I used fast-drying flat black paint on all the bolts heads after everything was in.

Oh no, this thread isn't going anywhere.

I went ahead and went with the flocking board. So what your saying is all hardware to all mods are are outside of the flocking board to hold it in, then the hardware was painted black. And this includes the bolts to the altitude bearing assemblies? 4 bolts per side?
Almost there!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Elroy]
      #6315319 - 01/15/14 08:18 PM

100% correct. It gets unbelievably dark in there, but that's the point. I had a hard time seeing where to dab the last bits of paint. Have several new Xacto knife blades ready to cut the flocking away from your holes.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #6315364 - 01/15/14 08:42 PM

Quote:

100% correct. It gets unbelievably dark in there, but that's the point. I had a hard time seeing where to dab the last bits of paint. Have several new Xacto knife blades ready to cut the flocking away from your holes.

The solution is to strap a bright white-light flashlight on your forehead while working on the interior of the OTA. The better kinds can be directed up or down to shine exactly on the point you are working on. I wouldn't do anything like this without a forehead flashlight.

Forehead Flashlights

Mike

petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Tim L]
      #6336723 - 01/26/14 01:41 PM

Can someone post the specs for the power source for the Z10 fan? Voltage, plug type, etc.?

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: petrus45]
      #6336992 - 01/26/14 04:05 PM

Quote:

Can someone post the specs for the power source for the Z10 fan? Voltage, plug type, etc.?

Power to the cooling fan should be DC only12volts. Initially the 8 fresh AA batteries provide greater than 12 volts and it doesn't seem to bother the fan. Eventually, the fan will run on lower voltage as the batteries deplete albeit rotating more slowly. Slower speeds may also reduce some of the fan-induced vibration.

An AC adapter that converts line current to an output of 12 volts DC at at least 600 milliamps can be substituted.

The female DC input jack accepts the ubiquitous center-post-positive 5.5mm OD x 2.1mm ID male barrel plug.
-----
C

rowdy388

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: Saratoga County, NY
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Cames]
      #6337919 - 01/27/14 12:15 AM

Here is a new topic I believe:
The focuser on my Z12 does not mate flush with the OTA. The focuser base is curved for a smaller tube probably because they are more popular. There is a gap where light, dust, spiders, whatever can get inside.

To make matters worse, I needed to shim the focuser to square it to the OTA to get it properly collimated.

Now I have an even bigger gap and I'm wondering how to seal it.

I suspect a caulking gun is not the way to go......any ideas out there?
Thanks, Dave Y

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: rowdy388]
      #6338166 - 01/27/14 06:55 AM

Maybe get some pieces of black foam sheeting, layer to the proper thickness, glue them together and wedge them between the focuser and OTA.

Mike

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6338312 - 01/27/14 09:03 AM

I like Mike's black foam idea. If not that, how about wedging small pieces of black felt in there. If the gap is a little too large, tiny rolls of felt forced in there.

I flocked the exterior of my Z12 around the focuser to help suppress glare from LP. Most of my focuser gap went away. as a side effect.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6338323 - 01/27/14 09:07 AM

Black foam core would also work, if it is the right thickness or a little thicker. It can be easily cut to size with an X-acto knife. Foam core will compress to fit and should stay put. Dope it with outdoor sealant first to protect from dew.

Mike

petrus45
sage

#6338359 - 01/27/14 09:33 AM

Thanks, Cames!

petrus45
sage

#6338364 - 01/27/14 09:35 AM

Quote:

Here is a new topic I believe:
The focuser on my Z12 does not mate flush with the OTA. The focuser base is curved for a smaller tube probably because they are more popular. There is a gap where light, dust, spiders, whatever can get inside.

To make matters worse, I needed to shim the focuser to square it to the OTA to get it properly collimated.

Now I have an even bigger gap and I'm wondering how to seal it.

I suspect a caulking gun is not the way to go......any ideas out there?
Thanks, Dave Y

I'm all for cheaper solutions, but you might consider just unscrewing the hex nuts in the base, and replacing it with a 12" base, which you might be able to get from Agena or somewhere else - but you'd have to make sure the new base will fit your focuser. For something giving you that much trouble, seems like it would be worth it.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6338395 - 01/27/14 09:53 AM

Agree with Petrus, this is a hobby where mm count, and jerry-rigging a focuser is probably not the best idea. How will it perform with a paracorr and a heavy eyepiece? Will it "flex" in the opening? Best to get the proper mounting plate or replace the entire focuser.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6338432 - 01/27/14 10:17 AM

Good points.

Mike

Tristan
sage

Reged: 06/07/11

Loc: NC
      #6338618 - 01/27/14 12:03 PM

I used black adhesive foam window/door insulation for mine from Home Depot. Comes in 1/4" wide strips, peel the backing off, stick it to the focuser and screw it back on the tube. The foam compresses and does not appear to interfere with the mounting of the focuser and is good and rigid.

sslcm56

Reged: 07/20/12

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6338685 - 01/27/14 12:33 PM

After reading 2 very long threads on thermal management I defocused on a brite star and could see the thermals boiling of the primary. Jupiter was very mushy. I have had some great views of it in this scope so I decided on some thermal management.

I got some black foam core and cut it to the size of the ID of the very back hole in the cell. This way I didn't have to make a lot of cut outs for the collimation and locking screws.

I cut a hole for the fan which I always thought was an exhaust fan but was actually blowing. It was so close to the primary that I couldn't tell. It went from a low rumble to sounding like hurricane Opal when it came through here. I can now remove the plug from the focuser and feel the air 1.5 feet back.

If it works out well I will get some silicone sealer and make it more permanent and seal up all the little leaks. I will post pictures if I keep it this way.

It MUST be a good thing I did because it went from clear to a forecast of 2" of snow tomorrow.

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6338691 - 01/27/14 12:38 PM

"Jerry-rigging" (jury-rigging?) seems a bit strong. It didn't sound like the OP's focuser is flopping around or anything. Just filling the side gaps to keep light, dust, and critters out should be a cheap & easy fix- not requiring an expensive new focuser base.

petrus45
sage

#6338867 - 01/27/14 02:09 PM

Considering the cost of purchasing foam, adhesive, or other supplies needed, I'd be sure to comparison price a replacement 12" base. I found something similar to what you might need at
Crayford Base Plate and it's only $13. I would call and ask to make sure it's the right thing, but really how can you go wrong at $13?

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

#6338905 - 01/27/14 02:31 PM

$13 is a VERY affordable option.

Cames
sage

Reged: 08/04/08

#6338927 - 01/27/14 02:44 PM

You're welcome, Petrus45

Quote:

but really how can you go wrong at $13?

If you have eyepieces, like orthoscopics, that come into focus with the focuser tube almost all the way in, or if you plan on using a coma corrector with eyepieces that come into focus with the focuser tube almost all the way in, you have to be careful not to elevate your focuser away from the secondary mirror. Be sure that you know how much, if any, the base plate will elevate your focuser.

You don't want your new base plate to prevent your eyepieces from reaching focus.
-----
C

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6338945 - 01/27/14 02:51 PM

....there's also the danger of over-tightening the current one, or someone grabbing the eyepiece to "slew" the scope, which could possibly dent the OTA where the focuser fits as the pressure points may exist. This could really mess up your scope. I'd spring for the correct mounting base.

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43146

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics