Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
VikingRaider
sage

Reged: 01/29/08

Loc: Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: VikingRaider]
      #4165860 - 11/05/10 04:13 PM Attachment (188 downloads)

Sorry about all the posts guys but I can't seem to get more than one picture per post....please forgive

This is the little clearance cabinet knob I got at Home Depot, attached to a cut piece of 1" black PVC pipe (again from the Depot). All held together with cable ties. Nice and secure, all pre-painted black and no marring to the paint on the OTA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VikingRaider
sage

#4165862 - 11/05/10 04:14 PM Attachment (143 downloads)

The Telrad base, strapped on with cable ties...that way I don't have to worry about the glue on the adhesive strips giving way when stored in the garage in the summer.

VikingRaider
sage

#4165867 - 11/05/10 04:16 PM Attachment (124 downloads)

And the Telrad installed... Still plenty of room on this thing for me to take a peek up the barrel. I find I end up with my head somewhere over the altitude brakes or a little further up. I'm 6'3" and it doesn't seem to bother me all that much because I built a base on casters to wheel this baby in and out of the garage...next post has a picture.

VikingRaider
sage

#4165878 - 11/05/10 04:21 PM Attachment (217 downloads)

Here's my homemade base built of scrap 2x4s and other bits of wood I had laying around. Cost me $3 in paint (contractor 99 cents a can paint at Depot), $18 in casters (two 3-inch casters $3 ea., and two 3-inch swivel casters $6 ea.) and $2 for a pair of hinges. Has a little table on a hinge that lowers when it's stored in the garage out of the way. My wife thinks it looks like a black hot water heater in the corner of the garage (I store OTA vertical). Crude but it serves it's purpose. I'm fixin to upgrade the hard plastic casters with some rubber or pneumatic wheels from Harbor Freight by Christmas. The casters tend to give a rougher ride than I thought on smooth concrete and like to get stuck in the grooves of my driveway. No big deal, but a minor annoyance that's easy to fix so why not?

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
      #4166113 - 11/05/10 06:19 PM

Steve,

Thanks for including the pics. Those are great ideas!

Like Enig said above, mine doesn't have those felt pads in the lid, either.

I like your ideas for attaching knobs.

Enig
sage

Reged: 06/24/09

Loc: NW GA, U.S.A.
      #4167068 - 11/06/10 06:26 AM

Quote:

I'm fixin to

Yep... he's one of *us*... (blows Dixie horn)!

Man, those are some *awesome* mods you've done! That's definitely a different OTA tube lid... I wonder what caused them to go to the trouble of changing *that*?

That sure is a neat base roller thang you've made there... so you observe standing? Does that alter the length of your viewing sessions? That definitely makes the Telrad position seem more ok than it might from my seated observations... it looks like I'd have to twist and contort back a bit much for that.

VikingRaider
sage

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Enig]
      #4167940 - 11/06/10 04:47 PM

Yeah, I stand...I find it easier to grab my sketchbook, pencil, lights, EPs, etc., than sitting. Plus, thanks to 7 years in retail, sitting just isn't as comfortable as standing. Not to mention it's way easier to swat the bugs (or stamp my feet in the winter).

Quote:

Yep...he's one of *us*...(blows Dixie horn)!

Would you believe I was born in Delaware?

I've been reading the other mod threads and I have another I'll do maybe tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to fashion a pad on the front of the rocker box to cushion the OTA should the alt locks give out and the tube come down. I have some pipe insulation I'm going to line the rocker box with. Simple and should do the trick (now that I've added all the extra weight to the front of the OTA).

Soon I'm going to add counterweights because she's a bit topheavy.

Adam Mendelson

Reged: 11/14/05

Loc: Purcellville, VA
      #4171355 - 11/08/10 10:13 AM

VikingRaider,
I really like the push to knob addition. I have been thinking about this since I picked up my Z12 a few weeks ago. Looks like this is the route for me!

VikingRaider
sage

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Adam Mendelson]
      #4178291 - 11/11/10 07:50 AM

It was actually very easy----the only thing I had to do was use a hack saw to trim the length of the little bolt that came with the cabinet knob. It was obviously designed to go through wood, not 1/8" of PVC.

graffias79
sage

Reged: 10/01/10

Loc: Edgerton, WI
      #4184888 - 11/14/10 12:01 PM

Regarding the fans that come attached to the back of the Z dobs, is it possible to use an alternative battery pack with them? Has anyone done this? Perhaps one of the rechargeable camping batteries with the cigarette lighter style plugs? I don't fancy buying loads of D batteries. To me it's just not economically feasible or ecologically responsible. Besides, I will want to use the camping battery to power other devices as well.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: graffias79]
      #4185066 - 11/14/10 01:09 PM

graffias79,

Try the battery pack first and see how long the D batteries will last for you. I have a 10" Newt Dob with which I use a Orion battery pack that contains eight D batteries. I bought it over two years ago. I probably use the scope and battery pack at least a half-dozen time a month. I think I've only had to replace a D battery once or twice in all that time. If the Zhumell battery pack is similar to the Orion - and it probably is - you won't have to replace the batteries very often. Just buy an extra pack of D batteries for when you need to replace any, which might not be for well over a year.

Also, it's a good idea to check the batteries in the pack before you take the scope out. It only takes a couple minutes.

Mike

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: graffias79]
      #4185332 - 11/14/10 03:23 PM

Quote:

Regarding the fans that come attached to the back of the Z dobs, is it possible to use an alternative battery pack with them? Has anyone done this? Perhaps one of the rechargeable camping batteries with the cigarette lighter style plugs? I don't fancy buying loads of D batteries. To me it's just not economically feasible or ecologically responsible. Besides, I will want to use the camping battery to power other devices as well.

Graffias,

Mine came with a battery pack for AA batteries (8 of them = 12v) to run the fan. I think as long as you're getting the same voltage you could probably use other power sources for the fan. A 9v battery might be a little low on airflow.

I've been thinking of putting some kind of regulator on mine to control how much power the fan gets, so I can turn it down once it's close to ambient, but still have a little air flowing down the tube.

capstain
journeyman

Reged: 11/25/10

Loc: Boulder City, NV
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Jason D]
      #4226071 - 12/03/10 04:26 PM

Just bought my first DOB and chose the Z10 because of price and accessories included. I also own a Meade AR6 refractor so this is my first experience with Collimation and am slowly learning the ropes.

One question I have is regarding the collimation of the collimator. Do I put it on a stable stand and then rotate it in a circle in one place with the beam on a wall, adjusting the screws until it doesn't create a circle during the entire 360 degree rotation?

Does anyone in this thread have pictures of this procedure? Sorry for my obvious confusion. I'm really excited about the viewing through a bigger scope and want to make sure I have everything set up correctly.

Also, has anyone had an issue with getting an object in the center of the crosshairs on the finder scope? No matter how much I turn the adjustment screws the best I can do is get the object about a half inch below and then compensate with the OTA. Thank you.

jimbo216

Reged: 08/25/10

Loc: SC
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: capstain]
      #4226310 - 12/03/10 06:13 PM

Does anyone know the polarity (tip) of the battery pack for the fan is for the Z10 ?

Edited by jimbo216 (12/05/10 05:53 PM)

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: capstain]
      #4228299 - 12/04/10 03:57 PM

Quote:

One question I have is regarding the collimation of the collimator. Do I put it on a stable stand and then rotate it in a circle in one place with the beam on a wall, adjusting the screws until it doesn't create a circle during the entire 360 degree rotation?

Does anyone in this thread have pictures of this procedure?

Capstain,

You've got it right--point the laser at the wall and rotate it in a secure holder.

Scroll up in this thread to posts #3633302 and 3633318. There's a little more "how to" in those posts.

Jason D also posted a diagram early in this thread showing how you can use your OTA as a jig.

Best to you!

scottder

Reged: 03/23/10

Loc: Warwick RI USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: Jason D]
      #4230328 - 12/05/10 04:25 PM

Has anyone replaced the screws that hold the finder in place, one of the plastic ones got 'stripped' so I can't really adjust it now.

Scott

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: scottder]
      #4230621 - 12/05/10 06:29 PM

Mine arrived with a broken one and Zhummel was quick to drop one in the mail. It is a standard size screw, I tried a 6-32(I think, one of the small screw sizes) and it fit.

scottder

Reged: 03/23/10

Loc: Warwick RI USA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: Mary B]
      #4230734 - 12/05/10 07:21 PM

Mary, excellent thanks!

GrafikDihzahyn

Reged: 07/16/10

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: scottder]
      #4290373 - 01/03/11 11:54 PM

I just got my first scope, a Z10 and I am loving it. I used a cheshire/site tube to collimate it, and once I bought a barlow, I used that with my laser. I did have to remove the center spot on my primary and replace with a new one, as the original from the factory was about half a centimeter off. Jupiter looks AMAZING through this thing. Was able to find Uranus while I was out this evening. Couldn't see any of it's moons, but we have a lot of light pollution here.

QUESTION - I've read about the fans for cooling down the primary. The Z10 comes with one, but I've read that it should be blowing air TOWARDS the fan. Mine is blowing air AWAY. Should I remove and reinstall, or is it supposed to be blowing away?

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: GrafikDihzahyn]
      #4291001 - 01/04/11 11:14 AM

Quote:

QUESTION - I've read about the fans for cooling down the primary. The Z10 comes with one, but I've read that it should be blowing air TOWARDS the fan. Mine is blowing air AWAY. Should I remove and reinstall, or is it supposed to be blowing away?

Hi Grafik,

I think the fan should be blowing toward the mirror, not away. Are you sure yours isn't? Even when pointed in the right direction, the air hitting the mirror will "bounce back" and make a lot of airflow off the back of the scope.

Try holding a piece of string right in front of the fan to see if it's really blowing away from the mirror or not. If it is, reversing it probably isn't too hard.

Clear skies,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43141

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics