Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Rob E
Village......clown

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Where Independence Was Won
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Rob E]
      #4318485 - 01/16/11 04:03 PM Attachment (109 downloads)

Also, it's at 150 DPI so 2400X2400 should give you exactly what you are looking for. Here's a bit resized after the unsharp mask.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skizoid

Reged: 01/12/11

Loc: 43.223N / -85.551W
      #4318632 - 01/16/11 05:21 PM

Done and done. Email sent. Thank you kindly sir.

The JPG you posted is actually quite clear, but the higher quality pic would be greatly appreciated. I saved that to BMP (lossless) so there's no degradation. JPEGs typically hold up fairly well thru second generation anyway. After that, it's progressively worse. Just the nature of the beast. If you look close at the section I posted, you can see some ghosting on the lines - none of that in the BMP version I was planning to work with, even after resizing. At half the original print size, that weighs in at about six megs ...

Rob E
Village......clown

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: skizoid]
      #4318764 - 01/16/11 06:30 PM

I tried to PM you back but you have that feature turned off. Sent you two different versions. One has every 5 degrees labelled.

sawacs
sage

Reged: 03/15/06

Loc: KOKC Area
      #4319701 - 01/17/11 02:56 AM

Here is a link to some of the mods I have done to my Z10. The flocking and primary mirror cell mods make a world of difference..

Z10 Mods

Cheers, Shawn

Edited by sawacs (01/17/11 03:01 AM)

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: sawacs]
      #4320174 - 01/17/11 10:56 AM

Nice baffle^ that's next on my list. I also think flocking was the best mod I've done so far

Rob E
Village......clown

#4320688 - 01/17/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

Done and done. Email sent. Thank you kindly sir.

The JPG you posted is actually quite clear, but the higher quality pic would be greatly appreciated. I saved that to BMP (lossless) so there's no degradation. JPEGs typically hold up fairly well thru second generation anyway. After that, it's progressively worse. Just the nature of the beast. If you look close at the section I posted, you can see some ghosting on the lines - none of that in the BMP version I was planning to work with, even after resizing. At half the original print size, that weighs in at about six megs ...

Did you receive the files I sent?

skizoid

#4321221 - 01/17/11 06:49 PM

Yup - the 16" anyway. 3.2meg. My 3G decided to take a dump and I had to download them on dialup. That kept disconnecting, and the download would start all over again. 50 megs of trash later, I gave up and dumped the other one off the server. Thanks, but let's NOT do that again, ok. <G>

I finished flocking the OTA today. Went with the Protostar FlockBoard. Real easy to use - just cut it to the circumference length of the tube, roll it up tight, slip it in, and it snaps into place. My only complaint was the overlap wouldn't lay flat, mostly because it'd been packed tight for shipping. I ended up pulling it out (one big advantage of the flockboard) and weighing it down with some books for a while to flatten it a bit. Don't imagine it'd be as much of a problem if it was warmer here. I expect a few minutes on low heat in the oven would make it easier to match to the curve too. Then again, a couple hours outside on a sunny day should even things out too.

One thing I did do was pad out the tube a bit with closed cell foam tape. That way the flocking didn't hang up on any of the hardware and ended up nice and round. I also added a ring of foam to the back of the flocking at both ends of the tube to provide an air seal - extra insulation and temp control. Stuff comes in 2 foot widths, any length, and two sections did the job on my Z8. You've all seen flocked tubes, so I won't bore you with that, but here's the OTA after the tape and prior to the Flockboard.

And here's a link to the flockboard website for more info on installation for anyone who's interested. Nice video and all.

Protostar Flockboard

More cosmetic than anything else. Had a raw edge on the flocking material at the top of the OTA, so I lapped that with Gorilla Tape. That works, but I've got some nice door edge molding somewhere around here that will dress it up nice.

Obviously, all the other stuff complicated the flocking considerably. I can see where the Flockboard would be real slick for a standard installation flush to the inside of the tube. Just hole the stuff wherever you have any protruding hardware, and flat black the bolt heads and such.

skizoid

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: sawacs]
      #4321274 - 01/17/11 07:20 PM

Thanks for the link, Shawn. Got some good stuff there. I do plan to add a cap over the backside of the primary like yours. Only difference - I plan to build out around the fan so I can snap a cover over it to completely close off the bottom in storage.

I see you're also not a big fan of the standard Telrad mount. All the empty pockets underneath don't leave much in the way of taping surface ... altho I do see they make handy places to put ceramic magnets! <G> Plan B for me, yet again. I just got done filling the base with bondo. Put a couple layers of wax paper on the OTA, then pressed the wet plastic into place so it's a perfect match for the Z8 tube. I got some peel 'n stick magnet tape that I'll cover the entire base with for now. Eventually, when I find the perfect sweet spot for the Telrad, I'll tap a couple holes and mount it permanently with screws and 3m tape. I got it roughed out right now. Skin coat, paint so the tape sticks, and I'm good to go. Still haven't figured out the best place to mount it ...

PS - I think I saw that big rig of yours in last years Fourth of July parade. Might have been a howitzer, now that I think on it. <G>

skizoid

#4321687 - 01/17/11 10:26 PM

OK ... rotate the focuser. Harumph.

By "grub screws", I assume we're talking the #2 allen heads located in the flat faces of the focuser mount right next to the tube, at the top and the bottom. I loosened them up all the way and couldn't get the thing to budge. Removed one entirely, and I can see a slight indentation where it locks into the main focuser tube.

Am I missing something here, or did they change the focuser on the Z8 or what? Bigger hammer??

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
      #4323048 - 01/18/11 02:57 PM

That's what mine looks like ^ the is one on the oposite side you have to loosen as well

Edited by MessiToM (01/18/11 02:59 PM)

skizoid

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: MessiToM]
      #4323462 - 01/18/11 06:03 PM

I removed both of em entirely and the *#&^%^# thing still wouldn't turn, pull, push, or otherwise move. Firmly even. Gentle persuasion didna work either.

Ah, well ... guess I'll have to join the 99% who buy these things and leave well the hell alone ...

There went my new year's resolution never to use gremlins again.

GrafikDihzahyn

Reged: 07/16/10

Loc: Oklahoma
      #4323754 - 01/18/11 08:11 PM

Finished with some basic mods on my Z10.

Added a couple handles, mainly for ease of use while viewing. One of the handles is located at the viewing end of the tube, to steer my view, and the other is near the bearings, to help with controlling the alt/az movement. These also give a nice grip when separating the scope from the base. I placed rubber washers in between the OTA and metal washers, and tightened them all down.

I've also installed a fan baffle at the base of the OTA. Another baffle is above the mirror that directs the air across the surface of the mirror itself. Go to youtube and search 'Meade Smoke Test'. Seems to cool a little bit faster, but it definitely looks cool.

I also attached a pouch to the side to house the battery pack and the extra cord.

Edited by GrafikDihzahyn (01/18/11 10:37 PM)

Tim L
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/08

Loc: Missouri
      #4324124 - 01/18/11 11:01 PM

skizoid,

You've got the right screws on the side of the focuser. They are the only thing holding the square base to the rest of the unit. Maybe they made a slight gouging on the focuser that's making it stick into place.

Just be sure not to let the focuser fall out on the floor while you're messing with them!

skizoid

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: GrafikDihzahyn]
      #4324302 - 01/19/11 12:56 AM

Couple more goodies for the mod list.

I checked out the smoke test with the top baffle in place and that's a fairly dramatic difference. I can see where that would also cut down on any dew buildup on the mirror surface. I'd be half tempted to try reversing the fan and see what happens then. Then again, once the mirror is equalized, shouldn't much matter which way the air is flowing.

She's gone from suck to blow!!

One concern is that the top baffle would seem to want to concentrate any dust or airborne particles towards the center of the tube. Probably not enough to make a matter tho. When I do my backplate for the bottom of the tube, I plan to build a cage out from the fan so I can snap in a cover and seal the whole shebang for storage. That'd also be a good place for some filtering media so you're only sending clean air up the barrel ...

Had a brainfart looking at that battery pouch too. Went rooting around and found a leatherette case that came with my TomTom GPS - perfect!

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#4324789 - 01/19/11 10:17 AM

Question for you guys modding the Z's; does that knob on the altitude bearing rotate as the telescope is moved in alt? Just wondering about a way to fit DSC encoders on the Zhumells.

GrafikDihzahyn

Reged: 07/16/10

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #4325894 - 01/19/11 06:44 PM

Wanted to get home to check before I gave you any info. Yes, it moves along with the scope.

(Good thing I waited until after I checked, as I thought it stayed stationary)

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: GrafikDihzahyn]
      #4325925 - 01/19/11 06:58 PM

Thanks, much appreciated!

Rob E
Village......clown

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #4325935 - 01/19/11 07:02 PM

Quote:

Question for you guys modding the Z's; does that knob on the altitude bearing rotate as the telescope is moved in alt? Just wondering about a way to fit DSC encoders on the Zhumells.

Argo Navis makes a version for the Z16 AT16 etc that have the same ALT system

http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/kits/pn-gs-16-spec_describe.html

Edited by Rob E (01/19/11 07:04 PM)

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: Rob E]
      #4325956 - 01/19/11 07:13 PM

Thanks Rob, That is also handy information. Now that I get a close look, that trunnion appears to be slightly conical, which might make it a tad more difficult for a non-machinist such as myself to modify. Still, I continue to be tempted by the ridiculously low price of that Z-12.

skizoid

Re: Mega-mod thread for Zhumell dobs [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #4327726 - 01/20/11 03:32 PM

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about all the pixels I'm using up on this thread, but oh, well ... I've learned to live with guilt before ...

The Z8 is now usable - soon as I get it collimated anyway. Still reading up on that. Quite the arcane science. If I do find it requires dancing naked under the full moon, at least I'll have an excuse this time ... <G>

Finished up on the secondary mods. Added two milk bottle washers and changed out the adjuster screws. I went with slightly longer screws (4mm x70 x35) to account for the "T" handles. Those are nylon, and I added an extra nut right up at the head to give max mounting surface for the glue. I just glopped that in to fill the hole, then wiped the excess. Worked out nice. A bit hard to see, but there's a post in the center of the "T" to lock it onto an allen head. I tapped that out on the drill press. Worth mentioning, the contact cement does take a while to set up (I gave it 24 hours) but is rock solid with time.

And the completed secondary ...

Note the absolute lack of reflection due to the flocking. I also added rubber washers behind the chrome spider nuts on the outside of the OTA. I already had a couple chips in the paint there - that should stop that. With the washers and flocking, I had to be real careful starting the threads on the thumbscrews, but once they caught, everything compressed nicely to get a few good turns in so it's good and solid. I did have to remove one of the spider arms to fit the assembly in the OTA, then reattach that after the other three were set in the holes. I was a bit worried about how the thing would look mounted, what with the flocking and foam and gorilla tape and all, but it turned out clean and solid. First draft had a nylon washer over the tape, but I couldn't quite catch the threads on the thumb screws and had to junk those.

* I've got another larger "T" nut that I may use for the center spindle on the secondary. Have to think on that. I'd have to add a shoulder to the screw to set inside the recess. That screw would also need to be about an inch longer to clear the outer ring of adjusters, and not sure if it would clear the tube cover when done.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 43148

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics