Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Richard Scott
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Tampa FL
Atlas/EQ6 "Mount Shim" new
      #3593439 - 01/30/10 01:16 PM

While surfing the Atlas/EG6 Yahoo group, I ran across a photo of what the guy called a mount shim. It was a donut shaped piece of what I took to be blue/green plastic of some sort. And it was placed on top of the tripod’s mounting plate directly between it and the mount head itself. Its purpose was to defeat the inherent friction between those two painted surfaces. And I was thrown; I had never seen one before. Although I had often thought that something like that could only help setting alt/az on a fully loaded and tightened down mount/scope rig.

So I asked if anyone knew any more about it, and another guy suggested I just buy a sheet of UHMW and cut to fit the plate. So I just ordered a .125” x 12” x 12”piece of sheet stock. When I get it, and get it cut down and installed I will post my results.

I think it’s gonna work
Clear Skies to all
Richard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Atlas/EQ6 "Mount Shim" [Re: Richard Scott]
      #3593693 - 01/30/10 03:17 PM

Ummm... interesting... I added a very light thin layer of synthetic grease on my NEQ6 but I never really liked the idea of adding grease where the mount's head sit. I'm very curious to see you're results.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 347

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics