Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon -Pastel
      #3594809 - 01/31/10 02:01 AM

At a loss to see Mars up close with limited equipment late on january 28th 2010, I opted for a naked eye observation over my home town and rendered this pastel sketch [which was unfinished earlier and sent to Spaceweather - I am surprised that they posted it as it was poorly photographed earlier if any of you saw it there. I just had a professional photographer friend photograph it again as near finished; it may never be finished.] It was also an attempt to an homage of Van Gogh's Starry Night Over Rhone ( if you are familiar with the painting, see if you can find the obvious references and then I added/appropriated my own by artistic license.)

On 20" X 26" dark blue Fabriano Italian 40% cotton fiber pastel paper with various pastel chalks. The tooth in this paper is a little too coarse for my preference. The moons disc was sketched at 7 1/8" and further detailed since it appeared in Spaceweather today.

A larger image may be viewed at >
Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon - Pastel Sketch by Mark Seibold

Mark

www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon -Pastel new [Re: markseibold]
      #3594821 - 01/31/10 02:12 AM

Mark,

Another literal masterpiece! I love this! Love the couple walking on the right, with you (?) sketching/drawing on the left. The boats are similar from Starry Night as is the light stretching across the water from the lights. I like how the walkway stretches and curves leading the eye to more modern images of the freeway etc.

Oh yeah, the moon is stunning as always. I may have to review a couple of your other pieces but personally, I really REALLY like this one, right up there. Oh, Mars is captures as well in the lower to mid lower left of the sky. So nicely done. Love that Orion is hanging out also in lieu of Ursa Major. Let's see what else I am missing, tons I am sure but I'll leave some for others. I surely hope you enjoyed creating this as I have and will studying it.

Edited by JayinUT (01/31/10 02:14 AM)

S1mas
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Loc: Lithuania
      #3595215 - 01/31/10 10:29 AM

Thanks for one more masterpiece.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon -Pa new [Re: S1mas]
      #3595293 - 01/31/10 11:23 AM

Mark,

There is a great deal one can say about this spectacular pastel sketch. The moon and Mars in the sky and the wonderful reflections of both in the water.
The color, the Portland skyline, the people, it is all a most beautiful capture.
There is even a sketch artist in the foreground scene that looks like Norman Rockwell( ;- )).

Frank

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

#3596941 - 02/01/10 04:07 AM

Thank you Jay in UT, S1Mas and Frank

Yes, it is fun at times to depict actual scenes and place familiar figures into a landscape, even appropriating other paintings familiar images [within reason and without too much over-intentional copying]. With all the landscape in this one which took much time to get the local downtown skyscraper scene accurate, the moon was the most difficult part as I am used to producing it as a disc at least twelve inches in diameter. This one being only 7 inches in diameter made it difficult to squeeze all the surface details in right. Then I noticed the rough tooth texture in the paper that made for rendering the fine details even more difficult. I had intended for the over all work to be more impressionistic or abstract. I'll try another soon.

As Jay and Frank commented on who the individual painter is in the lower left foreground; I did not really intent it to be anyone in particular. Just an old painterly impressionist. Maybe me? Sometimes these things are better left to the viewers decision. (;

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
      #3596979 - 02/01/10 05:37 AM

Mark,

A beautiful and inspiring work of art. You have captured the scene of a perigee Moon over Portland very nicely. It appears to be floating in your masterpiece. The stars appear to shine as well as Mars. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon -Pastel new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3598533 - 02/01/10 06:48 PM

Carlos

Thank you for your kind words

Mark

JanisR

Reged: 06/26/08

Loc: Pennsylvania
      #3598854 - 02/01/10 09:31 PM

"On 20" X 26" dark blue Fabriano Italian 40% cotton fiber pastel paper with various pastel chalks. The tooth in this paper is a little too coarse for my preference. The moons disc was sketched at 7 1/8" and further detailed since it appeared in Spaceweather today."

Gorgeous drawing!

I try to find pastel paper with a smooth "backside", and then make the sketch on that.

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars Moon Conjunction Over Portland Oregon -Pastel new [Re: JanisR]
      #3599274 - 02/02/10 03:35 AM

Thanks Janis

I thought it looked like near smooth when I bought it in the art supply store. I debated about using the back side which I have done previously with other papers. I still prefer Artagain paper in black. I had intended to buy Stonehenge paper again which I have used before, a smooth 100% cotton fiber paper in dark blue, but it is only available in black or off-white.

Mark

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 868

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics