Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jackk

Reged: 10/14/08

How to attach to the astrotrac head?? please help! new
      #3596398 - 01/31/10 08:50 PM

Hi there, does anyone own the astrotrac head (either from the astrotrac portable system or purchase separately?)? I purchased a OPT Dovetail Mount Adapter Vixen Style to attach to the head, but ARRRGGGH! it doesnt have the correct spacing to fit onto the astrotrac head.

Im trying to find some sort of dovetail mount that fits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: How to attach to the astrotrac head?? please h new [Re: jackk]
      #3597241 - 02/01/10 09:32 AM

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Astrotrac TH3010 head and the OS-DM from OPT? The OS-DM has 3 holes, the two outside holes are supposed to be centered on 35mm, which is supposed to match the holes on the TH3010.

At least this is what I've been told because I have both on order from OPT. I even asked Chris at OPT to test fit the OS-DM to the TH3010 he has one on the floor with the demo travel system. He claims it fits. I don't have it in hand yet, mine is supposed to arrive from Astrotrac and ship this week.

Maybe give OPT a call and discuss it with Chris H.? It should be fresh in his mind because we discussed it last week when I placed the order. Let me know what you find out...... good luck.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How to attach to the astrotrac head?? please h new [Re: Doug D.]
      #3597258 - 02/01/10 09:41 AM

It is frustrating that the Astrotrac site doesn't show a picture of the mount holes let alone supply the spec on thread size (M6 ??) and hole spacing (35mm ??). Richard must have the right clamps, somewhere on his site there is an offer to hook you up with such - although he doesn't list them.

I'm sure there are other alternatives out there. The OS-DM that OPT sells is made by Synta I believe. Berlebach also has one, I've seen it on their site and Teton shows it on theirs but it's more expensive.

jackk

#3597288 - 02/01/10 10:04 AM

Quote:

Just to clarify, are you talking about the Astrotrac TH3010 head and the OS-DM from OPT? The OS-DM has 3 holes, the two outside holes are supposed to be centered on 35mm, which is supposed to match the holes on the TH3010.

At least this is what I've been told because I have both on order from OPT. I even asked Chris at OPT to test fit the OS-DM to the TH3010 he has one on the floor with the demo travel system. He claims it fits. I don't have it in hand yet, mine is supposed to arrive from Astrotrac and ship this week.

Maybe give OPT a call and discuss it with Chris H.? It should be fresh in his mind because we discussed it last week when I placed the order. Let me know what you find out...... good luck.

Small world here! The OS-DM that I have was recommended by Chris at OPT, it does NOT fit the TH3010. I could see how if you just held the OS-DM up to the mount with a quick glance, you could assume that it will fit. But if you actually try to place the OS-DM right over the holes on the head, it doesnt line up at all.

I would make sure to modify your order asap so you dont end up with what I have.

I got a response this morning from Lynn at Astrotrac, she said she can sell me a vixen compatible dovetail clamp for $50.

jackk

#3597358 - 02/01/10 10:40 AM

Ok, I just talked to Richard at astrotrac. You need a 34.5mm spacing between the holes. He says this is the standard Takahashi spacing. It uses M6 hex bolts.

They sell a clamp that works for about $60 US. I just bought one.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#3597362 - 02/01/10 10:41 AM

Thanks Jack - I was afraid you might say that. I assume you are going to return the clamp to OPT, I'm curious what they are going to say. I'll contact Chris today.

Jack - have you measured the distance center on center between holes on the mount head? I assume it is 2 holes?

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#3597371 - 02/01/10 10:45 AM

Got it thanks - posts crossed in cyberspace. Did that $60 include shipping by any chance?

Just measured my AP adapter for Tak and sure enough, it looks to be 34.5mm on center. But it uses M8 screws, which is what is on the Tak Teegul.

jackk

#3597534 - 02/01/10 11:56 AM

Yes, it was $57 with the currency exchange and shipping. I didnt ask if it came with the M6 screws, I hope it does.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How to attach to the astrotrac head?? please h [Re: jackk]
      #3597541 - 02/01/10 11:58 AM

thanks Jack - I'll contact Richard.

By the way, it is pretty easy to find quality SS socket head screws. The Home Depot in my area keeps a good assortment as does my locally owned hardware store. And if you can't find the right length, they are pretty easy to cut down if you've got a hacksaw, vice and a file to remove burs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 995

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics