Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: mariobmd]
      #3589810 - 01/28/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Scott,

For ease of set up and polar alignment, go for an EM200. For more functionality without a computer, go for a Mach1.
Both mounts tracks well. Both are good for imaging. I regret selling my EM200 since this would complement my AP1200.

Regards,

Am I confused? All AP mounts have had (removeable) polar alignment scopes since the mid 90's. polar alignment is very easy with the scope.

With the Mach1 you don't even need it for visual. I usually leave it at home and just look through the peephole in the mount, if you center Polaris in the peephole it will track fine for visual use.

What AP mounts do not have is software that will compensate for poor polar alignment and make corrections for it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jaxdialation
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: Northeast, FL
Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: Scott99]
      #3590124 - 01/28/10 07:17 PM

I currently own both a Tak EM-400 and an AP 1200. There is no comparison in polar alignment speed between the two.

Your needs for precision may be different than other folks. I have never, not polar aligned a well as I can. The Tak is much faster and more better for the time spent

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: Jaxdialation]
      #3592335 - 01/29/10 08:24 PM

Quote:

I currently own both a Tak EM-400 and an AP 1200. There is no comparison in polar alignment speed between the two.

Your needs for precision may be different than other folks. I have never, not polar aligned a well as I can. The Tak is much faster and more better for the time spent

So it's faster to polar align the Tak mount? What makes it faster? just curious, are there fine adjustments, or the scope works better???

Jaxdialation
Post Laureate

#3593122 - 01/30/10 10:53 AM

The tak polar scope is precisely marked for the positioning of Polaris at the location, day and time of alignment. Very little margin for error. Setting it up for your location date and time takes less than a minute, then you are left with only getting the Polaris centered in the correct spot. For me, this is typically less than a minute.

The benefit is a relatively high degree of precision in very little time. Call it user friendly. I can run 15 minute guided exposures doing only this quick process. If I am doing 30 minute exposures I run PAM to really dial it in.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

#3593687 - 01/30/10 03:13 PM

Quote:

The tak polar scope is precisely marked for the positioning of Polaris at the location, day and time of alignment. Very little margin for error. Setting it up for your location date and time takes less than a minute, then you are left with only getting the Polaris centered in the correct spot. For me, this is typically less than a minute.

The benefit is a relatively high degree of precision in very little time. Call it user friendly. I can run 15 minute guided exposures doing only this quick process. If I am doing 30 minute exposures I run PAM to really dial it in.

so it's got a better polar scope than the AP Pasill, it has some alignment marks but sounds like Tak's marking system is better?

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #3593749 - 01/30/10 03:47 PM

Quote:

so it's got a better polar scope than the AP Pasill, it has some alignment marks but sounds like Tak's marking system is better?

I'll have to check one of those out. My A-P Pasill has a Losmandy reticle and it takes less than a minute to rotate the scope to match the sky, put Polaris in the proper spot, and enjoy.

With luck, I'll be able to see one at NEAF.

Cheers,

Ron

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: RAKing]
      #3593788 - 01/30/10 04:14 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who can align very well with the AP polar scopes. I've never used the AP/Losmandy one but have used other ones that rely on the user lining up the constellations and there is an element of "ballparking" it involved which makes it a little less precise than the Tak system which allows you to dial in the hour and exact time. Also, the reticles being out of alignment or even the polar scope itself being out of alignment with the polar shaft can cause issues. The Tak scope is integrated into the mount and perfectly aligned with the axis of the mount out of the box (or, at least mine was and has remained that way after a year).

Edited by Tim C (01/30/10 04:15 PM)

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: Tim C]
      #3593800 - 01/30/10 04:18 PM

Dunno about the AP, but the Tak does not need the tripod to be leveled, this definitely saves some time when setting up.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma new [Re: johnnyha]
      #3594107 - 01/30/10 06:33 PM

Quote:

Dunno about the AP, but the Tak does not need the tripod to be leveled, this definitely saves some time when setting up.

The AP doesn't need to be leveled, either.

I guess we are all just going to enjoy our systems as they are. To each his (or her) own.

Ron

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
      #3594133 - 01/30/10 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess we are all just going to enjoy our systems as they are. To each his (or her) own.

Ron

Yep, leveling isn't required for any GEM... polar aligned is polar aligned. Leveling helps when drift aligning though so you aren't moving the mount in azimuth when you're attempting to adjust altitude (and vice versa).

Jaxdialation
Post Laureate

#3594503 - 01/30/10 10:08 PM

That's true, for some reason Tak enthusiasts think the level thing is unusual.

I love my AP Mount. It is a engineering marvel. Hopefully some day I will have a permanent set-up. If so, the
AP will be my only mount.

Quote:

Ron

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
      #3594576 - 01/30/10 10:57 PM

I use the AP polar scope. (Losmandy) it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Ditched it completely for PemPro. My friend uses a Tak scope and he always smiles after a quick alignment.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #3598026 - 02/01/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

I use the AP polar scope. (Losmandy) it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Ditched it completely for PemPro. My friend uses a Tak scope and he always smiles after a quick alignment.

guess I'll stick with the peep-hole! You can also do 2-star alignments pretty quickly, 2 or 3 will get you well-aligned.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5861

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics