Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Messier Marathon in HC
      #3603564 - 02/03/10 11:51 PM

Don't know if this has been posted before, but has anyone approached Celestron about adding a marathon sequence to the HC Tour setup? With March madness only a little more than a month away (mid-month new moon), I was researching what was the most efficient way to do a marathon and it dawned on me that a HC tour program would be the ideal solution.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SanDiegoPaul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/05

Loc: San Diego
Re: Messier Marathon in HC new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #3604093 - 02/04/10 10:32 AM

Hey, George that is a great suggestion. Perhaps one of our programming gurus on the forum could create one. Can we upload our own tours to the C mounts, as you can with the Meade SCT?

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Messier Marathon in HC new [Re: SanDiegoPaul]
      #3604209 - 02/04/10 11:10 AM

Hi George,

Let me preface this by saying, I don't care personally one way or the other. But, I think I read somewhere that doing the marathon or completing the Messier observing list didn't count if it was done with a goto mount. Or at least that is the impression that I have from reading something somewhere.

At any rate, I don't care how people do it. I think having a tour of the proper sequence for the marathon is a great idea. Just being out trying to observe all these objects in one night (or as many as you can get) is an experience that I think everyone should try.

Cool idea.

Clear skies,

SanDiegoPaul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/05

Loc: San Diego
Re: Messier Marathon in HC new [Re: Gord]
      #3605044 - 02/04/10 04:44 PM

Gord, that's a club preference. In our case, they want you to do star-hopping, no GOTO ... but that doesn't mean all clubs are that way.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: Messier Marathon in HC new [Re: SanDiegoPaul]
      #3605555 - 02/04/10 09:47 PM

Hmmm... didn't know about clubs having no GOTO rules when doing a marathon but it makes sense .... more knowledge and skill involved then.... but hey my goal would just to be able to complete one or as much of the list as possible from my location... as far as uploading a customized tour to the HC, I don't think that's possible, but I'll do some research and see... thanks for the ideas!....

m4ilm4n

Reged: 02/20/06

Loc: shadows of the Blue Ridge
Re: Messier Marathon in HC new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #3606084 - 02/05/10 08:09 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but EQTOUR appears to have a Messier tour list (for those using EQMOD). With the two feet of snow we're supposed to get this weekend it sounds like a good time to practice.

Our club also says that to be recognized as a "true" marathon it must be completed without GOTO, although I believe DSC's are considered OK.

Great idea to have it in the HC though.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 436

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics