Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bugsi

Reged: 09/20/07

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Need extra counterweight for Orion EQ-1 GEM. new
      #3605339 - 02/04/10 07:31 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent extra counterweight for Orion's EQ-1 GEM? I bought my nephew an Orion Starmax 90mm Mak a couple years ago, and this holiday season I upgraded it with a 9x50 RACI and gave him my Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece. Together with the scope, these add enough heft that the small counterweight when slid all the way at the end of the counterbalance shaft, still can't quite counterbalance the scope assembly.

Orion sells additional counterweights for the Skyview Pro and Atlas mounts, but those are really big and too heavy for what I need with the EQ-1. He has the tracking motor assembly, so I have a definite need for good counterbalancing.

Just looking for any thoughts or recommendations.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dubboy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/05

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: Need extra counterweight for Orion EQ-1 GEM. [Re: Bugsi]
      #3605372 - 02/04/10 07:48 PM

I've used a dumbell weight from Walmart...about $3 and they come in different "flavors" in the sporting goods department...2 1/2 lbs. would probably work for your situation.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 304

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics