Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Mars 4 february 2010
      #3605949 - 02/05/10 05:16 AM Attachment (55 downloads)

Yesterday I looked with some members of my local astroclub at Mars. There were two 12 cm refractors (one APO and one semi-APO) in the company. I allways thaught that these telescopes were excellent for planetwork because they have no obstruction. But the view in my 12" won the competition!

It was the first time I looked for a second time the same region of Mars. Compared with an observation of the 1st of january Hellas was very difficult to see. One month ago it was very bright.
This time I also noticed almost no limb haze. There was only I brighter region at the northwest of Mars (or was it Mare Acidalium rolling in?).
Mare Serpentis and Sinus Sabeus looked like a half-ring on the southwest. Beautiful sight!
Another strange thing is the position of Syrtis Major. I see it in the eyepiece far south (it doesn't cross the "middle" of Mars). In simmulations of Mars it comes far more north.

All comments are wellcome!

4/2/2010, 21.00 UT, CM=300°, 12" dobson @ x300, apodizing mask

Edited by Jef De Wit (02/05/10 05:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3605997 - 02/05/10 06:37 AM

It is important really to sketch what we see. The visual impresion of a planet may be differ serios from photographs.

My sketch one day ago an with a similar CM shows Syrtis maior in a position comparable to your sketch. The "half ring" of the mare serpentis I saw far less contrasty. Interesting.

Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: Uwe Pilz]
      #3606070 - 02/05/10 07:50 AM

good sketch Jef. about the position of Syrtis Major: i think it may have something to do with us, telescopic observers, being limited to seeing only the major outlines of the northern tip of S.M. when you look at some photo's the tip becomes less and less 'pointy' and 'bent' the more detailed the photo becomes (aperture, resolution, good seeing and good processing techniques?) so there's more to see in pictures than (most) sketches, which could be why on photos S.M. may seem to extend further North...

take a look at this nice image from pete lawrence in the solar system forum: link notice how the B&W version seems to show a shorter S.M. than the colour version. perhaps because it masks finer detail around the area. the colour version shows the bended hook at the tip of S.M. embedded in more, finer detail, which i can't resolve with my eyes & scope, so my sketches of this region, as well as other people's sketches, show the tip with a hook.

this is just an idea of mine though.

how's your colour technique developing btw?

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: Kris.]
      #3606237 - 02/05/10 09:48 AM

@ Uwe
I agree, it is very important that you sketch what you see, but I like allways - when the sketch is finished - to put a planetariumprogram or a photo next to the sketch.
I looked at your sketch from the 3th and you saw Hellas really bright. Strange.
About the half ring: our brains look for structure. So maybe once you think you saw a structure, you will see it again and pay attention to it and sketch it maybe to expressive.

@ Kris
Thanks for the theory. About the colour. My previous sketch I started with yellow all over the planet (except the polecap). Then added orange (except on the cap and the yellow-regions) and in the last step brown. For this sketch I didn't worked with layers and set every region directly in his own colour. I don't know what works best for me... still experimenting.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #3606429 - 02/05/10 11:27 AM

Jef,

This is an excellent sketch. I agree with both Uwe and Kris.
There are those times when the atmosphere cooperates and you can see an amazing amount of detail, but those times don't occur but rarely.

Frank

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #3606580 - 02/05/10 12:27 PM

Jef,

, nice sketch .

Tom

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #3606668 - 02/05/10 01:14 PM

Tom, Frank, thanks for the kind words.

mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
      #3606797 - 02/05/10 02:25 PM

I like your color sketch! I wish we had some clear skies right now. Congratulations on beating the apos.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3607226 - 02/05/10 05:59 PM

very nice Mars sketch, with the north hemisphere of Mars facing us, Syrtis Major can be foreshadowed into a similar position as your sketch, thanks for posting.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: Tommy5]
      #3608270 - 02/06/10 10:40 AM

Jef,

Well done observational sketch--it's important to sketch what you see how you see it. You noticed changes from your last observation--that's why Mars is such a great target. Clouds, ice, dust all moving and changing.

Tommy's right about the effect of foreshortening. We are currently seeing much more of the Martian northern hemisphere than the southern hemisphere. The Martian equator doesn't go through the apparent "middle" of the disk--it arcs farther to the south.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #3609920 - 02/07/10 05:20 AM

Teacher, Tommy and Michael

rerun

Reged: 03/22/09

Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr
      #3609984 - 02/07/10 06:53 AM

Hallo Jef,

you used the some clear sky on February 4th,like I do.Great sketch of Mars with some more details,that I could see with my small scope.Thank you for sharing with us all.

CS

Markus

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: rerun]
      #3610049 - 02/07/10 08:02 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

I made a version with labeling. It' a good excercice for knowing better Mars. I hope it's correct!

I don't know what's the name of the dark zone surrounding the polecap. I thaught it was Utopia, but the labeling of Carlos on other sketches here on CN put it more south.

Randnevel is Dutch for limbhaze.

Edited by Jef De Wit (02/07/10 08:04 AM)

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
      #3610088 - 02/07/10 08:50 AM

Jef, great drawing, did you ever try a #21 orange filter ??

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mars 4 february 2010 new [Re: dweller25]
      #3610735 - 02/07/10 02:44 PM

No, I have no colourfilters. I have ordered a set of 4 filters from Orion in an astroshop some 3 weeks ago. I think they will arrive when the Mars-party is over

I once used a redfilter from someone else. It gave a little better contrast in my scope. But if you look at Mars later on without redfilter, the planet looks WHITE! And it takes some time for the eyes to come back to normal colours.

What are your experience with the orange filter?

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1130

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics