Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
S1mas
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Loc: Lithuania
How to label objects in sketch? new
      #3602531 - 02/03/10 02:56 PM

Hi all,

From time to time I see sketches with labels which ones activates when mouse is hovered over a sketch. How is that possible to do?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: How to label objects in sketch? new [Re: S1mas]
      #3602718 - 02/03/10 04:08 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Hi S1mas,

Javascript rollover effects can be great tools, but they can also be a little tricky to work with. For example, you can't use them on discussion forums such as this, or on any hosting program that doesn't give you control over javascript.

The basics:
1) You place a series of javascript routines in the Head of your webpage or place a link in the head that points to a javascript source document on your site.
2) You call out those scripts wherever you place a javascript image in the Body of your page.

If you are using weblog software that is flexible enough (such as Movable Type or WordPress), you can have it insert the javascript or javascript-link in the head of every page on your site. The key is to turn off any auto-formatting in your weblog software. Otherwise, it will try to format the script you add to your rollover images, and this will break the rollover effect. (MovableType is great about this--WordPress is a pain in the neck, because it REALLY wants to autoformat even when you try to turn it off.)

Here is a site with details: Idocs Guite to HTML: Rollover Images

In practice, this is basically how it looks in the source code. (This is the page where the effect is used: Mars CM 265

S1mas
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Loc: Lithuania
Re: How to label objects in sketch? new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #3604133 - 02/04/10 10:43 AM

Thanks Jeremy,
Seems someday Ill need to invest some more time for that -
Now that sounds "little" tricky for me

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: How to label objects in sketch? [Re: S1mas]
      #3606626 - 02/05/10 12:53 PM

There is another method for generating rollovers that I haven't experimented with yet, but it looks promising. This method uses CSS to create the effect instead of Javascript: Pure CSS Image Rollovers

Instead of saving 2 different versions of your image, you make a single image where both versions are stacked side-by-side or one-above-the-other. Then you create a style that crops to only one half of that double image and then have the image shift up-down or left-right if the user hovers their mouse over it. The benefit is that the whole image loads at once, so there's no lag when the user moves their mouse over it. It also makes the experience available to users who don't have javascript enabled.

From checking my web stats, what I've found is that most people do have javascript enabled in their browsers, so I don't think that's a huge issue. However--I have found that rss feed collectors like portaltotheuniverse.org won't display your image if it's enmeshed in a javascript cage. I may try moving to this css method before too long. I'd just have to change my workflow in a few places.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 566

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics