Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Sketching M37...NOT!
      #3611955 - 02/08/10 01:56 AM

I had a thought about sketching M37. I found it at 28x in my 100mm refractor. It looked like a loose glob. Then I cranked the power to 120x and WOW, stars were everywhere. I must have had great transparency tonight because M37 never looked this good. I did not know where to start. There were star chains going every which way. Okay, maybe not that impossible but I was overwhelmed. Using my altaz mount at 120x gave me very little time to divide the object into manageable parts. When I backed off to 60x, I had lost a significant number of dimmer stars and the view was less impressive. I think I needed to attempt my first DSO sketch with something less grand. I give everyone lots of respect for your DSO renderings.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
S1mas
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Loc: Lithuania
Re: Sketching M37...NOT! new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3612012 - 02/08/10 03:22 AM

Hehe, I recognize that feeling somehow

Same I had with M37 - but got it from like third attempt. Tried M46 to begin twice... NO luck yet
Anyway, for complex objects like M37, M46, or globulars I need an quite big inspiration wave to start. If there is not enough of that feeling, Im going for easier objects.
Just dont push yourself much

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Sketching M37...NOT! new [Re: S1mas]
      #3612311 - 02/08/10 09:51 AM

Mathteacher,

Try NGC 2169 in Orion. Not a lot of stars but a small and pretty open cluster. It is mid way and below Xi Orionis and Nu Orionis.

mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Re: Sketching M37...NOT! new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3612380 - 02/08/10 10:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay. That is the "37" cluster. I've been able to observe it in the city.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 388

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics