Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
wyundiv

Reged: 01/24/08

Pencils for Deep Sky sketching new
      #3608395 - 02/06/10 11:48 AM

Hi All,

I've been fairly experienced from a young age at sketching planets, but always had difficulty sketching deep-sky objects. One problem that I've always had was sort of highlighted in the July/August 2009 edition of Sky News that I read recently, the article by Mark Bratton on sketching. While I've been using regular pencils, Bratton uses a special kind of "young children" pencil called the Berol "primary printer" pencil that is easily smudged for a nice soft effect--just what you want for a deep sky object.

Since I can't find the Berol "primary printer" pencil anywhere, I thought I'd ask, what is your favorite sketching pencil to use, specifically for sketching deep sky objects monochromatically?

Thanks,

Walter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Pencils for Deep Sky sketching new [Re: wyundiv]
      #3608540 - 02/06/10 01:11 PM

Hi Walter, I use 2B and 4B pencils. The 4B is better for smudging with and something like a 5B or a 6B would be even better, if messy.

TenthEnemy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Maryland
Re: Pencils for Deep Sky sketching new [Re: FJA]
      #3609093 - 02/06/10 06:02 PM

I always use HB pencils, also known as #2 pencils, or as you call them: "normal pencils." For a softer pencil I prefer a 4B, but I've never had problems smudging an HB pencil.

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Pencils for Deep Sky sketching new [Re: TenthEnemy]
      #3609382 - 02/06/10 08:37 PM

This thread discusses some of the materials you can use. In the end to get started I think most of us started with a #2 pencil and white paper or sketched on an observing sheet.

Jeff Young
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/04/05

Loc: Ireland
Re: Pencils for Deep Sky sketching [Re: JayinUT]
      #3612951 - 02/08/10 03:24 PM

Keep in mind that hardnesses aren't uniform across brands (or possibly even across lines within a single brand).

I like a Daler-Rowney Artists Graphic HB, but in Derwent Graphic the HB is way too hard (I'd guess a 2B or 3B in that line would be about right for me).

-- Jeff.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 676

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics