Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new
      #3609859 - 02/07/10 03:13 AM

I went to an early movie tonight just to catch Mars at the right time. I was pretty lucky because as soon as I finished the sketch, clouds rolled in. Most of the sketch was done with a light yellow #12 filter. I finished with the light blue #82A to see if I would catch more details. There was a cloud on the preceding limb and there appeared to be a light band across the equator. Mare Acidalium and Niliacus lacus appeared to form a "Z" shape and I saw a dark band extend from them in fleeting moments. Checking the Calsky simulation revealed no such feature, so it may be an error on my part. Anyhow, I'm glad I got to observe for about an hour. It's good therapy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3609925 - 02/07/10 05:26 AM

Nice sketch. I like the way how you sketch the subtle differences in albedo on Mars.
When I see all those Marssketches I have the impression it is easier to draw the planet in black/white than in colour. I find it far more difficult to put the differences in albedo on paper with colour pencils.

Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3609986 - 02/07/10 06:55 AM

good sketh Ging-Li, especially using a rather small aperture scope! i've seen the Z-shape as well the light band across the equator would be Chryse & Xanthe if i'm correct. some images do seem to show a lighter region or clouds on the following limb, which is left on your drawing.

Jef, it's 'easier' to sketch in B&W, i just mean, the subtle albedo differences are easier to represent then using colours. the scanner may also reduce contrast more or less using colours...

rerun

Reged: 03/22/09

Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: Kris.]
      #3610001 - 02/07/10 07:25 AM

Hallo,

good sketch of the other side of Mars.When I observed Mars last time I saw the side with Syrtis Major.In this area you sketched is much more difficult to see so many details with a 4" refractor.

CS

Markus

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: rerun]
      #3610258 - 02/07/10 10:47 AM

Ging-Li,

You have recorded a beautiful view of Mars. Very nice work.

Frank

mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: frank5817]
      #3610277 - 02/07/10 10:53 AM

Thanks for your replies! I just got started with sketching.... I'll try color at some point but I think it is harder, too! Color sketches of mars do look better though.

I don't have a scanner so I've been taking pictures with my cheap digital camera. I noticed the pictures lost contrast, so I adjust them in GIMP to look like my original sketch. I learned this useful skill while doing astrophotography. All these disciplines intermesh

phxbird
sage

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3611224 - 02/07/10 06:17 PM

Surprisingly enough the scanner seems to record to much detail. My sketches come out looking like a newspaper picture under magnification! Nothing like the actual sketch! I probably should use Gimp in the same way to make it look more like it should!

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor new [Re: phxbird]
      #3612003 - 02/08/10 03:04 AM

Great sketch,you caught the NPC indent - I have yet to see that although I have noticed the NPC has become quite dim.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor [Re: dweller25]
      #3613383 - 02/08/10 07:05 PM

Nice work--very well rendered eyepiece view. The North Polar Cap is going through changes--keep watching it if you have the weather.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 625

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics