Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Weight of Loads On CGEM new [Re: George Methvin]
      #3616465 - 02/10/10 10:04 AM

I did reasonably well starting out on a GC5 then moved to a hypertuned LXD75, but when it came time to move into monochrome imaging with narrowband filters I just simply couldn't sustain long enough exposures without battling PE, and other imperfections that created challenges. Being unable to correct a number of limitations in both mounts, I couldn't go much beyond 4 minute exposures without having to toss a higher percent of subs out the window. My last rig only had 8 lbs of equipment up top. I did everything possible to squeeze the most out of it.

However, when you get to that point, your choices are deal with it, or come up with some cash. I've been changing out lower end hardware for a few years now trying to keep it on the cheap side, but there definitely seems to be a barrier that is difficult to tackle, in which spending some cash would definitely solve. I have been eyeballing larger GEMs for quite a while, and even a CGEM would be a huge jump from where I am today. But, do I want to continue to spend cash in incrimental steps that I seem to grow out of yearly? Or just do it right? How far is far enough to satisfy what I'm after? Problem is, I think the answer lies beyond the price limit that my CFO is going to tolerate right now, so I have to find the best compromise I can and get the most quality possible from the budget I'm working with. Now I'm starting to wonder after talking to several people on here if a fork mount on a wedge is a better option in my budget range to be able to satisfy my need to replace OTA, mount, and Camera equipment. Everyone seems to love them for visual, but information on AP aspects is somewhat limited, especially in regards to precision. That's an important thing to consider since with a twin fork setup, you're generally stuck with a fixed size primary OTA. It just seems like the CGEM or similar would only satisfy the itch partially and I should probably stop considering it at this point. It won't have the capacity, although the precision seems possibly decent with some post-refinement.

I was actually kind of shocked that Paul went with a CGEM considering his LXD rig could potentially be more precise with the exact same load. A GEM does offer the flexibility of changing out hardware with many different configurations.

This is by far the most frustrating hobby I've ever jumped in to LOL. Even building up cars is more simplistic. The build paths are usually cut and dry and you know what to generally expect. With AP, it's like a dark art trying to build the right combination.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Weight of Loads On CGEM new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #3616553 - 02/10/10 10:54 AM

Yea lol but I do love this hobbie. I am trying to buy all I need over the next 3 years because after that I will retire and will be living on a fixed income and not be able to afford a lot of new stuff. So my theory is to buy it now while I can afford it so I will have it later. This is what I have so far,

Meade 10 LX200 classic SCT with super wedge
Orion EON 120mm ed refractor on a Meade LXD75 mount.
Orion 100mm non ed F/6 refractor
Apogee 80mm non ed f/5.6 Refractor
Orion starshooter plantery III color camera.
Orion starshooter DSC I
Cannon Rebel 300 camera.
William optic Binoviewers.
10X80 and 7X50 bino.
Lots of eyepeices.

WirelessDude
sage

Reged: 01/02/08

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA
Re: Weight of Loads On CGEM new [Re: George Methvin]
      #3617848 - 02/10/10 11:35 PM

I am about to try out my newly-configured gear on my newly-acquired CGEM. The gear comes out to about 30 lbs and initial tests show the mount handles it very well. Bad weather the past few weeks have been preventing further tests. But, this weekend, it seems that will clear. The gear?

Alnitak Flip-Flat -> TV NP127is -> Optec 2" IFW -> Optec 2" Pyxis rotator -> SBIG ST-8300M
SBIG eFinder -> SBIG SG-4 (on TV Piggy Cam)
TV Starbeam

I am hoping this'll be a very well-performing setup for my portable AP needs. If not, I'll go a bit smaller on the OTA with my 80ED -> Moonlight/Cercis...

Clear skies!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Weight of Loads On CGEM new [Re: WirelessDude]
      #3618145 - 02/11/10 07:37 AM

There is a viable solution to the demise of the cge, another mid weight mount, the Losmandy G-11 gemini. I'm looking at this mount more and more. As capable as the cge was, with support and parts supply. You can work on it yourself. If goto "goes", you've got a usable mount still with seperate drives (if you get the gemini as a whole package). For $3200, I find it hard to fault...oh yeah, the hand controller isn't as good as the celestron...thats about it.
The cgem seems too small for growth. The CgePro, too big. The cge was juuust right at 65# cap. Enter the G-11G.

WirelessDude
sage

Reged: 01/02/08

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA
Re: Weight of Loads On CGEM [Re: t.r.]
      #3619129 - 02/11/10 04:37 PM

I had the CGE for a short time. I thoroughly enjoyed it's capabilities and such, but I needed something that was portable. It came in a bit heavy for that duty. The CGEM is perfect for this, even though I may have to go smaller on the OTA, perhaps a 100-110mm. We'll see what happens this weekend with the NP127is...

Clear skies!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1568

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics