Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
munirocks

Reged: 10/21/13

Loc: Bourne End, UK
Re: A Scope for the Ages or Just Aging? new [Re: starboy1954]
      #6162641 - 10/28/13 02:22 PM

I think you've pegged it. Much as I rationalise the decision to use setting circles to others by quoting effectiveness, simplicity, logic, and practicality, I too like the analog feeling that I get from having "bolted the telescope to the sky" by myself.

Ditto on the knobs. I don't have my new Questar yet, but I do know that I like the silky smooth feel of the volume knob on a 1976 Pioneer SX-737 receiver, and music itself doesn't even feel the same without it.

Setting circles are also indispensible when teaching children. The circles help them to "see" the RA Dec lines in the sky, and you can rotate the telescope to draw the lines. You can turn off the drive and ask them why the star is moving across the field of view (about 50% of them guess it), then turn it right back on again without having to realign the whole thing from scratch. The alternative is to tell them it's done "with computers", which teaches them nothing. Actually it's worse than nothing, as it teaches them to stop thinking and just accept superficial non-explanations. You could just as well have told them it's done with mirrors, smoke, and magic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: A Scope for the Ages or Just Aging? new [Re: munirocks]
      #6170334 - 11/01/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

I don't see the advantage of putting "M27" into a control panel, over dialing M27's coords into setting circles.

I can; I know M27 is probably going to be called 'M27' but I haven't a clue about its co-ordinates!

munirocks

Reged: 10/21/13

Loc: Bourne End, UK
Re: A Scope for the Ages or Just Aging? new [Re: planetmalc]
      #6171472 - 11/02/13 05:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see the advantage of putting "M27" into a control panel, over dialing M27's coords into setting circles.

I can; I know M27 is probably going to be called 'M27' but I haven't a clue about its co-ordinates!

Mmm, yyeeess. But if you've got a computerised control panel there and you type in "M27", it can tell you the coordinates.

I attended a lecture last night on using Stellarium, the last half of which covered using it to control a telescope through a labrynth of downloads, drivers, communication protocols, networks, and hardware, each of which was picky about version numbers. I can see a certain appeal to sitting in a warm house while the telescope is out in the freezing cold, if you don't mind looking at pictures on a screen instead of the real thing through an eyepiece, but I sure wouldn't call it a time saver. The lecturer was a very competent astronomer/computer expert/speaker, but by Zeus, by the end I was ready to gnaw my leg off to get out of there. Come back setting circles, all is forgiven. It reminded me of that plane crash where the iced up plane flew under a bridge. The black box showed that the pilots needed more power urgently, but instead of applying more power they pulled back on the stick because they knew the software would apply more power if they pulled back on the stick. They were flying the software instead of the plane.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16258

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics