Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

G11 stepper chatter
      #3623511 - 02/14/10 12:02 AM

Unusual symptoms last night: the G11 was tracking but the Dec was "chattering" and moving irregularly during slewing. It was 10 F out and I was running a lot of heaters (basically three C14 heaters in various applications--on the refractor, in the eyepiece box, and around the computer).

My engineering friend Pete helped me simulate the conditions a few hours ago. We determined that when the voltage gets down to about 11V that the stepper start to behave irregularly, and they get even more irregular at 9 v.

I could have solved my problem in the field by disconnecting one of my heaters, or using a lower amp heater in one of the applications.

This of course was the SAIA stepper system. Although it is well known that servos often like to have their voltage upped, the fact is that low voltage due to cold weather is probably a "compounding additional factor" for systems that already want more power than humble steppers.

regards
Greg N

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
Re: G11 stepper chatter new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3623776 - 02/14/10 08:21 AM

What's your power source and the size of the wires your using to power your setup? If you're using a led acid 12V battery and it's dropping down to 11V, you're drawing to much current or discharging it too far. If it's a regulated 12.8V supply, you're overloading it. If the source isn't going this low but the voltage at the mount is when everything is turned on, you need larger wires and perhaps better connectors. The wires and connectors carrying the most current (from the PS to where the heaters and other loads split off) need to be the biggest.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: G11 stepper chatter new [Re: Luigi]
      #3624890 - 02/14/10 08:36 PM

The power source was an 85 amp hour marine battery. I think the load was in the neighborhood of 8 amps (there's a ten amp fuse would have blown otherwise). Just gator clamps feeding into a three hole cigarette plug from the 'shack (with an in-line micro blade fuse I put in).

I think the temperature may have had an impact on the battery. But I've never tried to run three c-14 length cords all at once before. Probably should have disconnected one.

thanks
Greg N

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
Re: G11 stepper chatter new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3625813 - 02/15/10 10:25 AM

Certainly sounds like the source is up to snuff which suggests you need heavier gauge wires. The ciggie lighter plug connections aren't the best either. There are a few threads and one current one on better connectors for 12V power.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 316

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics