Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
John J
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/07

Loc: South East SD.
Tripod Upgrade For CG5 Clone
      #3624387 - 02/14/10 04:07 PM

Recently one of our club members built a portable pier for his CG5-GT. He had this tripod that he was not going to use any more. It is the standard tripod that comes with the CG5-GT. It has 2" diameter legs and is quite rigid. My CG5 clone mount had the flimsy aluminum tripod that comes with the EQ3 and 4's. It was plagued with the shakes. It was especially bad with torsional flexing. A little bartering and the new tripod was mine. This was a direct drop in modification. There was nothing that had to be modified! I have never had such of an easy upgrade. The new tripod is rock solid with my 6" short tube reflector and guide scope. Now if it would quit snowing and blowing so I can shoot some images!

This is the old tripod compared to the new one.

This is the new tripod. What a difference it's gonna make.

JJ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
Re: Tripod Upgrade For CG5 Clone new [Re: John J]
      #3625820 - 02/15/10 10:28 AM

Yep. The 2" tripod on the CG5 contributes a lot to it's stability and one advantage it has over the HEQ5/Sirius mount's 1.75" tripod.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
14 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 254

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics