Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
BIG old "classic" Astrola mount...
      #3624525 - 02/14/10 05:06 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Looking for help/suggestions. Pictured is an Astrola Observatory Class mount that originally carried the very large 16" Cave Newtonian. If I still had this BIG Astrola I would donate it to my Astro Club so we could mount our very fine 1970's era Tinsley 12" Maksutov. The Tinsley is a 70+ pound OTA so needs a big mount. Can anyone offer suggestions for other older, very capable mounts that would carry this Tinsley? The Club has no money to spend, except possibly the costs for shipping such a beast...though we do have the capability to bring an old neglected mount back to life if one were found. I'm concerned that if no mount is forthcoming that the decision might be to sell the Tinsley....a big loss to the Club. Thanks so much for your input! For size reference, those rings on the Astrola are 7" ID for when I had my 6" f/15 D&G on there. The shafts are 2"+ OD

Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHASLX200
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: Tampa area Florida
Re: BIG old "classic" Astrola mount... new [Re: zawijava]
      #3624663 - 02/14/10 06:29 PM

I have been looking for same mount for years and can't seem to find a 2.5" Obseravtory Cave mount anywhere.

Chas

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
Re: BIG old "classic" Astrola mount... new [Re: CHASLX200]
      #3624816 - 02/14/10 08:08 PM

Tim;
I have never seen a TINSLEY 12 maksutov!! Could you perhaps post a picture sometime?

Kevin

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: BIG old "classic" Astrola mount... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #3624944 - 02/14/10 09:07 PM

Quote:

Tim;
I have never seen a TINSLEY 12 maksutov!! Could you perhaps post a picture sometime?

Kevin

Kevin,

There is a Tinsley thread going in the "Classic Telescope" section, I have posted a pic there w/some details towards the end of the thread(page 3).

Tim

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

#3624960 - 02/14/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

I have been looking for same mount for years and can't seem to find a 2.5" Obseravtory Cave mount anywhere.

Chas

My Astrola(pictured) was sold to a guy who last I heard was in Texas. I cannot recall his name, I have it somewhere, but remember his Lic Plate said "Caveman"....he loved Cave scopes/Astrola mounts

Tim

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3625719 - 02/15/10 09:36 AM

Quote:

Looking for help/suggestions. Pictured is an Astrola Observatory Class mount that originally carried the very large 16" Cave Newtonian. If I still had this BIG Astrola I would donate it to my Astro Club so we could mount our very fine 1970's era Tinsley 12" Maksutov. The Tinsley is a 70+ pound OTA so needs a big mount. Can anyone offer suggestions for other older, very capable mounts that would carry this Tinsley? The Club has no money to spend, except possibly the costs for shipping such a beast...though we do have the capability to bring an old neglected mount back to life if one were found. I'm concerned that if no mount is forthcoming that the decision might be to sell the Tinsley....a big loss to the Club. Thanks so much for your input! For size reference, those rings on the Astrola are 7" ID for when I had my 6" f/15 D&G on there. The shafts are 2"+ OD

Tim

Any number of older mounts from Meade's DS16 mount to Criterion mounts and on up to Cave will do the job. Problem is finding them.

scope dog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/04

Loc: USA
      #3625773 - 02/15/10 10:02 AM

Consider this web page or this web page

CHASLX200
Post Laureate

Re: BIG old "classic" Astrola mount... new [Re: scope dog]
      #3626871 - 02/15/10 06:29 PM

My 1967 Cave 1.5" Shaft mount should handle a short tube 12" scope pretty well. Just don't expect AP 1200 mount perfection.

Chas

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3626877 - 02/15/10 06:33 PM

Quote:

My 1967 Cave 1.5" Shaft mount should handle a short tube 12" scope pretty well. Just don't expect AP 1200 mount perfection.

Chas

That's for sure. Of course, I assume the goal is visual only. If that is the case, a DS-16 mount or a Starfinder 16 mount can probably be had for a reasonable price and will do the job--if not in style.

CHASLX200
Post Laureate

Re: BIG old "classic" Astrola mount... new [Re: rmollise]
      #3627027 - 02/15/10 07:54 PM

Also a 2" shaft Starliner mount would work also if you can find a used one.

Chas

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 683

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics