Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Jim Davenport
sage

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Seminole Fl
Atlas EQG HC upgrade new
      #3624144 - 02/14/10 01:38 PM

I have a Orion Atlas EQG mount. the Firmware on my HC is ver 3.01.
I was out last night, one of the people I was with had a EQ-6 with newer firmware. I really like the ability to dim the polar scope reticule, that mine doesn't have.
I can't find the RJ-11 to RS232 cable that came with the controller.
Can I use a RJ-11 to USB cable?
I've downloaded version 3.27, but can't upgrade the controller until I get the cable issue solved.
Thanks.

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neptun2
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/07

Loc: Bulgaria
Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade new [Re: Jim Davenport]
      #3625412 - 02/15/10 02:42 AM

first you should know that firmware upgrade will probably not allow you to dim the polar scope LED. This depends not only on the firmware version but from the motor controller board version also and your is probably old. But i recommend you to upgrade the firmware because newer synscan firmwares have many fixes and additional functions.

Coromandel
sage

Reged: 02/27/09

Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade new [Re: neptun2]
      #3625418 - 02/15/10 02:55 AM

Here we go again!

Unless your mount control PCB is version 2.0 or later the polarscope LED firmware option won't be available in the menu.

Do a search here on CloudyNights to find the other 950 threads on this very same subject.

Jim Davenport
sage

Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade new [Re: Coromandel]
      #3625467 - 02/15/10 04:57 AM

Quote:

Here we go again!

Unless your mount control PCB is version 2.0 or later the polarscope LED firmware option won't be available in the menu.

Do a search here on CloudyNights to find the other 950 threads on this very same subject.

You missed the whole idea of my original post. Aside from the fact I did a search, and didn't find out whether I could use a USB to RJ-11 cord, instead of a RS232.
I have no idea what my "PCB version" is on the mount. Like I said the "Firmware version" on my hand controller is 3.01.
I want to upgrade the firmware anyways.
Since you don't know the answer to my original question. your comments are useless to me, and actually quite rude.
I can call Orion later today, but I hoped I could get an answer here on CN.

Edited by Jim Davenport (02/15/10 05:04 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3625714 - 02/15/10 09:33 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what my "PCB version" is on the mount. Like I said the "Firmware version" on my hand controller is 3.01.
I want to upgrade the firmware anyways.
Since you don't know the answer to my original question. your comments are useless to me, and actually quite rude.
I can call Orion later today, but I hoped I could get an answer here on CN.

No idea what a "USB to RJ11" cable is. You need a serial cable for the Atlas.

It's unlikely you will gain polar scope dimming, but the upgrades have improved the HC considerably in other ways.

EricJD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Chesapeake VA
Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade new [Re: rmollise]
      #3625751 - 02/15/10 09:54 AM

Rod is right, whatever connector types you decide to use they need to be 'serial' in their data transfer.

For example, a standard USB to serial adapter connected to a serial cable to the HC.

Jim Davenport
sage

Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade new [Re: EricJD]
      #3625871 - 02/15/10 10:47 AM

The "RJ-11" is the telephone looking plug that plugs into the center of the HC for computer interface The cord that came with the unit (that I lost) had a RS232 (DB 9)serial plug on the other end.
My new lap top only has USB plugs. I assume that if I bought a USB cord, that it would work, but I wasn't sure.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #3626494 - 02/15/10 03:28 PM

The standard solution is a USB to RS232 adapter. Some of them are inadequate for the task, though. Belkins have tended to be problemmatical, while Kennsingtons seem to do OK. A better idea is probably an RS232 PC Card; those seem to be bulletproof and roughly the same price.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3626652 - 02/15/10 04:53 PM

Quote:

The "RJ-11" is the telephone looking plug that plugs into the center of the HC for computer interface The cord that came with the unit (that I lost) had a RS232 (DB 9)serial plug on the other end.
My new lap top only has USB plugs. I assume that if I bought a USB cord, that it would work, but I wasn't sure.

It will work, but you will also need the serial cable for the Atlas (make or buy).

jim molinari

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: California
Re: Atlas EQG HC upgrade [Re: Jim Davenport]
      #3628035 - 02/16/10 11:48 AM

Jim ...
I have a new hand control cable that you can have for the cost of shipping it to you. I purchased a Synscan controller for my Sirius mount and the Atlas cable was included.
Jim Molinari

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 664

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics