Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
CG-4 Mount Question
      #3651189 - 02/27/10 04:57 PM

Hello,

I'm in the market for a very portable non-goto equatorial mount (already have a larger goto one I use for astrophotography). The mount would be used for a 4" apo refractor.

I have read some confusing reviews/posts about what one has to do to move from object to object if you install the dual motors. Read one review that said you had to use a hex wrench to disengage the motors each time you want to move. This seems crazy. Can you not disengage the clutches to get close and then use the 8x rate to get to your object or is 8x too slow for star hopping?

Thanks for the input and any other comments about this mount.

Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBu

Reged: 12/04/07

Re: CG-4 Mount Question new [Re: Tim C]
      #3651234 - 02/27/10 05:20 PM

I have an older CG4 with the dual axis drive motors and yes, you can disengage the clutches to move close to the target and then use the 8X to put you on target. You only need to use a hex wrench to disconnect the motor drives if you want to use the manual slow motion knobs (i.e. you don't want the motor shafts to be turned manually).

I have it mounted on a newer tripod with 2" steel legs. The original tripod with aluminum legs was barely adequate, taking several seconds for vibrations to damp out with a 4" refractor.

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: CG-4 Mount Question new [Re: MikeBu]
      #3651271 - 02/27/10 05:41 PM

Thanks Mike. That is what I was hoping to hear. The 2 inch legs are a good idea. Did you just by the legs or have to purchase a whole new tripod?

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
      #3651810 - 02/27/10 10:01 PM

If you get the new CG-4 it has the nice sturdy steel tube legs.
And Mike is correct about moving the mount. Used to have one, and that's what I did.

MikeBu

Reged: 12/04/07

#3651872 - 02/27/10 10:35 PM

Doug is right, the new CG4 has 1.5" steel legs which should be fine. It's only a concern if you buy an older CG4 mount and tripod.

Celestron should have really given the newer mount an upgraded designation, like CG4-A1. The old mount doesn't accept a dovetail plate like the new one. I planned on putting a scope with a dovetail plate on the mount and inquired about additional mounting hardware necessary. The sale rep insisted no additional hardware was needed, but I looked at my mount and couldn't figure out how that was possible. It wasn't until he sent a picture of the new mound, still called a CG4, that I realized we were talking about 2 different mounts. I found someone who made custom accessories that would adapt the older mount to accept a dovetail plate.

94bamf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/08

Loc: Kansas City,Mo
Re: CG-4 Mount Question new [Re: MikeBu]
      #3651918 - 02/27/10 11:03 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

The new CG-4 has 1.75" legs, same as Orion SVP and also the same as the Skywatcher version of the EQ5.. The tripod is actually the strongest part of the mount now...

BTW....The declination axis has a hand turnable clutch that comes with the motors that allows you to use the slow motion control by disengaging the motor on that axis.
It is the thing in front of the brass gear in the picture.
The R.A axis however can not use the slow motion knobs with the motors attached..

Ken

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics