Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
How to make latitude adjuster for old wedges
      #3653154 - 02/28/10 06:07 PM

Any feedback will be strongly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Brian Risley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: How to make latitude adjuster for old wedges new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #3653238 - 02/28/10 06:58 PM

Bar stock (round or square 1/2-1" thick solid core with a hole tapped in the middle of each end, 1 threaded hole clean through in the middle, threaded shaft (1/4-20 or so) with a point on wedge end and a knob or a couple of locked nuts that can be used to turn it.
Thicker shaft could be used with larger stock size. Cut stock to fit at base of wedge alt groove, screw it in from the sides. Put threaded shaft through until it hits a point in the back of the wedge, release your wedge plate screws, adjust shaft as needed to get alignment. Recommend tightening up the wedge plat screws again. If fine alignment is still needed, just try the shaft, as it can put/relieve some pressure on the plate that may be all you need.
(Used to make some for C-8 wedges. Larger wedges need thicker stock/larger shaft.
Brian

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: How to make latitude adjuster for old wedges new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #3654099 - 03/01/10 09:55 AM

Get a heavy duty turnbuckle. All the moving threaded parts are built in- all you need to do is give it an interface, which at most is some angle with a couple holes drilled in it. The second arm can be flat stock aligned by drilling holes to line up with the existing axle and plate end. Really easy, no threading needed, replacement mechanism is off the shelf at the local hardware store. Use it by loosening the wedge, adjust altitude to match, then tighten the wedge. It's that easy. That is how I made an adjuster for my old C5+ wedge.

BTW, if you want it to look nice, get a turnbuckle with an aluminum body and use a foam sanding block with fine grit to sand lengthwise on the flats of the hex center. It will shine right up. After you've done it, you ask, "Why the heck are other latitude adjusters so complicated?"

-Rich

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 488

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics