Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Astrodome 2900 Export new
      #3665866 - 03/07/10 03:08 PM

While fishing around on the internet for an observatory dome, I came accross an Australian product called Astrodome. The chaps from Astrodome quoted me a shockingly low price for their observatory considering it includes shipping to the Middle East and motorised rotation and shutter (no automation, and power for shutter to be supplied by me).I have been hard pressed to find any reviews about this dome. Does anybody know anything about it? If nobody has used it, has anybody who owns an observatory got any feedback based on the pictures on the suppliers site? The site can easily be found by searching on google for astrodome observatory.

Looking forwards to hearing from you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Astrodome 2900 Export new [Re: Hilmi]
      #3665877 - 03/07/10 03:11 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad to have you join us on the forums.

I have not heard of this particular dome; but perhaps other members here have, & will post their thoughts.

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Astrodome 2900 Export new [Re: csa/montana]
      #3665967 - 03/07/10 03:50 PM

I got a quote from them a few years ago and they were more expensive (incl shipping) than a locally made product

www.kiwidomes.co.nz

They do look nice though... strange what some people use domes for

http://www.astrodomes.com/aloka.php

Coromandel
sage

Reged: 02/27/09

Re: Astrodome 2900 Export new [Re: Hilmi]
      #3666063 - 03/07/10 04:49 PM

Quote:

While fishing around on the internet for an observatory dome, I came accross an Australian product called Astrodome. The chaps from Astrodome quoted me a shockingly low price for their observatory considering it includes shipping to the Middle East and motorised rotation and shutter (no automation, and power for shutter to be supplied by me).I have been hard pressed to find any reviews about this dome. Does anybody know anything about it? If nobody has used it, has anybody who owns an observatory got any feedback based on the pictures on the suppliers site? The site can easily be found by searching on google for astrodome observatory.

Looking forwards to hearing from you

I emailed those guys in Queensland a couple of times a while ago but they never bothered to reply which is probably a good thing as it turns out. There's a society over in NZ (Nelson?) that paid more than $40,000 (NZ) for one and quickly regretted it. Apparently it's an OK design but not well executed at all.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Astrodome 2900 Export [Re: Coromandel]
      #3667415 - 03/08/10 11:28 AM

$40000?!

What I got quoted was AUD $10750 including shipping to Oman in the middle east. Every other dome that I looked at that included motors was at least 30% more expensive excluding shipping. I did find the fact that this is an unpainted metal dome slightly dissapointing, but I guess that for a 30% discound I can live with painting a dome myself. That quote was for a 2.9m dome with the walls that raise it above the ground, a motor for driving the dome and shutter motor. A Sirius observatories dome would have set me back several thousand dollars more! I found some reasonable cost observatories from the US but shipping cost to the middle east is prohibitivly expensive. I have to pay for an entire container! (Although with the free trade agreement with the US I could potentially save 5% on import duty).

I am actually wondering how much help an observatory is going to be, since I moved to my new house in the middle of the city, light polution is so bad that the sky glows red! I'm almost tempted to sell my telescope!

P.S. Thanks for the welcome

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics