Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MikeB 2
sage

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Bidwell, OH
Vixen Mini Porta Questions new
      #3683344 - 03/15/10 08:20 PM

Just bought a nice used Mini Porta mount. Got a couple questions. The azimuth slow motion seems to have some backlash in it. When reversing directions the stem turns about 1/4 turn before any movement registers. The altitude slow motion seems to have no backlash. Is this normal and is there any way to get rid of the backlash or am I stuck with it? Also, I need a longer mounting block safety screw. I had to move my WO66 scope forward so much to balance it that the safety screw does not reach my dovetail shoe. Any idea where I could get a longer one? Any input appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
slyke
sage

Reged: 02/21/08

Re: Vixen Mini Porta Questions new [Re: MikeB 2]
      #3684828 - 03/16/10 01:39 PM

Mike,

Have you played with the tension settings?
They are adjusted with the Allen head screws on each axis using the Allen keys that are stored under the black rubber flap.

Also, I can't picture how a longer safety screw will help if the dovetail is too far forward?
-Stephen

MikeB 2
sage

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Bidwell, OH
Re: Vixen Mini Porta Questions [Re: slyke]
      #3685197 - 03/16/10 04:29 PM

Stephen,

The safety screw comes in at an angle. I had to move my scope forward just enough that the screw does not contact the mounting shoe. If the screw were about 5-6mm longer it would make contact. I'll have to visit the hardware store and see what I can find. The tension screws don't seem to make any difference in the backlash of the slo-mo. However, I did find a review of the mount here on CN and it tells how to adjust the backlash out. Thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 299

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics