Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new
      #3689987 - 03/18/10 07:23 PM

Our site (address below the signature) contains two new sketches and stories if interested. Both are binocular observations.

M46 and M47 were captured with 16x70s on a Sky Window. They are truly a beautiful contrasting pair of clusters with a binocular.

The moonset was an "after-thought" sketch when I happened to turn to go inside and saw the 2 day old moon hanging above the tree line. The sketch is what was apparent using OB 8x56 binocular.

On the home page, go to the red button for inspiration. The inspiration page gives you the thumbnail with a link to the full sketch and story.

Clear skies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3690103 - 03/18/10 08:33 PM

Roland,

An excellent observation of M46/47 in Puppis. You have captured this pair of open clusters in the binocular field very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Your New Moon observation is excellent as well.

The best of luck to you and Linda.

Carlos

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3690606 - 03/19/10 12:22 AM

Roland,

Beautiful work. I was looking at the moon tonight just before it set and M46/M47 a few nights ago.
I am happy you continue to communicate the beautiful sketches and lessons that you and Linda share with us.

Frank

ladip63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: the dark skies of Texas
Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: frank5817]
      #3691304 - 03/19/10 11:14 AM

Roland and Lind,
Just gorgeous work and beautiful words.

Lynn

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: ladip63]
      #3693417 - 03/20/10 10:45 AM

Roland,

As always, your sketching is incredible and the words that go with it are inspiring and reflective. Wonderfully done and thanks for sharing.

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: ladip63]
      #3693418 - 03/20/10 10:45 AM

Thanks Carlos, Frank, and Lynn. I am glad you have enjoyed the material. We would like to do more but other things have taken precedence right now. You will understand if you read any of Linda's Spot on the site.

While the telescopes have not been set up lately, it has forced some use of the binocular, which has advantages. It is amazing to me how beautiful many objects appear using this kind of instrument.

Clear skies.

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3693422 - 03/20/10 10:48 AM

Thanks Jay. I think of your location since we go through the state occasionally. There are some wonderful open (an understatement) places to view the heavens that are adjacent to spectacular land formations. I trust you enjoy some of them.

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: M46 & M47 in contrast; Moonset [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3693442 - 03/20/10 10:59 AM

Roland,

Yes, I enjoy the open areas a lot in the west desert and come summer we have a couple of great spots up in the mountains that are beautiful too. I posted three images on my blog last night of one of the sites I use in the desert. The zodiacal light is clearly evident at this site to the extent it impacted an observing companion's viewing of some Messier last Monday. Your posts and that view has given me an idea for a sketch for my father-in-law (another to add as I am almost done with the first). Truly that light is a light set to shine forth. Anyway, thanks again for inspiring, I truly appreciate your site and your efforts.

Edited by JayinUT (03/20/10 11:01 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 653

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics