Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
CGEM: What's the truth?
      #3712248 - 03/29/10 10:46 AM

I find that folks having problems with gear are more likely to share their experiences on forums such as this than are folks who have a trouble-free experience with the same gear. This can create an imbalanced impression as to the reliability of certain products.

The CGEM seems (from the reports on this forum) to have its share of "teething" issues. My goal is to get a more balanced perspective as to whether the CGEM is a gremlin-ridden nightmare or basically a sound product with a few units missing the mark.

If you own or have owned a CGEM, please share your experiences both good and bad. If your use has been trouble free, please share as this is the kind of data that seems underrepresented.

Thanks,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #3712288 - 03/29/10 11:08 AM

I never had any issues with mine.

Corky
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/22/08

Loc: Ohio, USA
      #3712366 - 03/29/10 11:41 AM

Jim, are you already thinking you made the wrong decision getting a CPC, wishing you had opted for the equatorial mount instead? - Second-guessing your major pre-purchase evaluation?
In my opinion, you settled on the perfect design for visual; the fabulous Celestron alt-azimuth mount. All the noises it makes are totally normal and harmless.

attckbvr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: Corky]
      #3712375 - 03/29/10 11:45 AM

I just bought a used CGEM from amart, It has preformed very well so far for me....no complaints

SchrödingersCat
sage

Reged: 11/02/08

Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: LLEEGE]
      #3712377 - 03/29/10 11:46 AM

My first unit had the dreaded "no reponse 16 (and 17)" issue. Sent it back and promptly received a replacement, which works fine with the exception that the number 3 hand pad light flickers.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: SchrödingersCat]
      #3712468 - 03/29/10 12:36 PM

Near dead accurate gotos and excellent tracking when care is taken with a 2 star alignment with 4 star calibration and the polar alignment program. The stock knobs are an ergonomic nightmare, however, I bought the ADM upgrade kit along with the longer CW shaft which makes the mount much easier to set up and adjust.

It's heavy, so one must learn to lift it onto the tripod in one fluid motion without having to shift one's grip. Also, there is, at times, some very slight play in Dec, when the scope points in a certain direction, but it's only apparent when the scope or part of it is touched.

Even being aware of all of this, I'd still buy the mount again.

joec33
sage

Reged: 06/13/09

Loc: Orange County, NY
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: SchrödingersCat]
      #3712473 - 03/29/10 12:39 PM

I love mine! No problems so far and is a pleasure to use every night out. The CGEM has also helped improve the overall quality of my CCD images too. My exposures are at least twice as long as they were with my ASGT. All around great mount for the money in my opinion.

SanDiegoPaul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/05

Loc: San Diego
      #3712502 - 03/29/10 12:52 PM Attachment (133 downloads)

I have had mine (new) for two months. It has travelled with me to the desert with the club twice, and been set up on the back patio on the weeks inbetween desert trips.

It is a very reliable performer.

Just this past weekend, I imaged with it again from my back porch - this time with NO polar alignment and stretching my image time from 10 minute subframes to 15 min subs. I imaged M108 under the 99 percent Moon for 75 minutes using those 15-min subframes. The only alignment done was the built-in All Star alignment procedure, using four calibration stars. Goto's are perfect when I use four calibration stars. the ST2000 camera does not have such a large chip in it.

But the GOTO's will always put the object very near center of my chip's FOV unless I'm swinging the mount all the way around, doing a polar flip.

This image was internally guided with the ST2000's built in guide chip, using 5 second pulses. The image shows good, round stars even though no drift or polar alignment was done. The only exception is the top left of the image, where my shots always show footballs because the camera doesn't sit in the SV90T APO squarely.

SanDiegoPaul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/05

Loc: San Diego
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: SanDiegoPaul]
      #3712508 - 03/29/10 12:54 PM Attachment (119 downloads)

Quote:

I have had mine (new) for two months.

Here's a Leo Trio taken from this mount at ARizona Sky Village two weeks ago

Hank w

Reged: 09/10/08

Loc: Loveland, Colorado
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: joec33]
      #3712545 - 03/29/10 01:13 PM

I purchased one of the first CGEM's almost 1 year 3 months ago. I did have problems with the MC and HC control firm ware. When Celestron upgrade the firmware all was well. I have a fork mounted nexstar 9 1/4 which I am using less and less since I find the CGEM is much easier to setup and tote around. Once I got the setup and alignment routine down pat, I find it very easy, fast, and accurate to use. The CGEM is definitely louder than my fork mount at full speed, slower slews are much quieter, then again the top speed on the CGEM is a bit faster then the fork mount. I do have a P.E. bump the keeps showing up with every revolution which I have not tried to correct yet but will do so soon. I do like this mount and celestron's updating of firmware for discontinued products such as for my 91/4 GPS Fork mount.
Hank

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: Corky]
      #3712561 - 03/29/10 01:20 PM

Not at all.

I'm actually considering upgrading my Atlas to a CGEM.

I have seven OTAs and three EQ mounts currently, in addition to the CPC.

Regards,

Jim

waassaabee
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Central California Coast
      #3712659 - 03/29/10 02:09 PM

My CGEM operates flawlessly... now. I was having the No Response 16 & 17 errors and what finally appeared to be a dead hand control. When it returned from Celestron I looked at the worksheet and all they did was update the frimware (DOH!). But I think they did the mechanical adjustments as well, becase it moves like glass now. I think it's a fantastic and reliable mount.

wsuriano

Reged: 11/13/07

Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: waassaabee]
      #3712747 - 03/29/10 02:59 PM

I had a HC that died. Celestron sent me a new one. The mount works great. My experience is consistent with others - dead on gotos and a stable platform for imaging with the 2 star alignment, 4 calibration stars and All Star Polar Alignment. I'm usually up and running in 20-25 minutes from no set up at all to imaging.

Bill

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: wsuriano]
      #3712774 - 03/29/10 03:12 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

That "thud" is me jumping on the bandwagon.

My CGEM does a great job, I have never had a problem. Visually, it is perfect. Once I got trained on using it, the object is in the central part of the field of view everytime. Until I let the battery get too low. Blame it on the human.

Photographically, I only do piggybacking. I have a 300mm lens and as long I keep the tracking accurately, it tracks smoothly and the images turn out great. For wide field stuff with my 35mm lens, I can go over the do some binocular observing while the CGEM tracks.

I also replaced the knobs, they were just too slippery. I bought from Scope Stuff.

Lots of fun;
Steve Coe

Edited by stevecoe (03/29/10 03:13 PM)

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: Fred1]
      #3712787 - 03/29/10 03:16 PM

Hi guys well I just bought one, it just arrived. Haven t even set it up yet. But have a few questions. What would you recommend for my situation. I own a Celestron 6" refractor and a Celestron SCT ULTIMA 9.25" which I now have both mounted on my ASGT mounts. I also only have these Vixen style dovetails on all my scopes. What do i need to do to get these mounted on the CGEM since this dovetail saddle is different. I have heard of ADM mentioned. Do they have a replacement saddle? TIA Bob Midiri

bill kramm

Reged: 04/20/09

Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: bob midiri]
      #3712820 - 03/29/10 03:32 PM

Bob, I got the AMD saddle for my CGEM. Worth every penny. Check out their web sie for other Cgen upgrades.

bbbri

Reged: 11/05/09

Loc: SW Ohio, United States
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: bill kramm]
      #3712850 - 03/29/10 03:48 PM

CGEM is great. No problems so far, other than user created. It is my first GoTo mount. Now that I have learned the alignment routine, it points the C8 directly at the selected object. Milder weather has helped make alignment more fun. It takes about 15 minutes for 2 alignment + 4 calibration stars.

attckbvr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: bill kramm]
      #3712851 - 03/29/10 03:48 PM

Bob buy all the upgrades from ADM if its in your budget, the dual saddle is great. The knob upgrades are wonderful as well. Just under $400.00 for everything. Scope stuff has the same upgrades for less money....BUT ADM's are bigger and look alot better. IMHO

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
      #3712870 - 03/29/10 04:01 PM

Works extremely well...it was a long learning curve to get the goto right but this is my first EQ mount...I read the same articles and I unconsiously (on occassion) wait for something to go wrong (have got to stop reading those CGEM problem postings) BUT it is a great mount in every way and it just plain works.

JadeSmith
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: SE Michigan
Re: CGEM: What's the truth? new [Re: Jeff55]
      #3712978 - 03/29/10 04:51 PM

My first CGEM was louder than my CG5 and had a bad clicking noise. I promptly exchanged it (which was very difficult due to the vendor from whom I will never buy from again). The second unit has worked great for the last 9 months although it did act up once...a factory reset solved the "issue". Overall, I am pleased. (but you gotta buy a few ADM knobs to really enjoy it to the fullest IMO)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6474

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics