Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
mejacobs
sage

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Santiago de Chile
DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar?
      #3717384 - 03/31/10 06:22 PM

I am a purely visual observer and a real fan of UA's Unistar Deluxe. I am interested what experiences others may have had with DSC's installed on the Unistar (something I do not have but, as a gadget freak, am considering). How well did they work? What computers did you use? Did you install yourself, and if so, how difficult was it? Finally, given that these are relatively pricey gadget, was it worth it, or would you recommend a goto GEM instead?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike Conley
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/23/07

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: mejacobs]
      #4096828 - 10/06/10 02:37 PM

I'll revive this old thread as I'm also looking to install push to onto my unistar deluxe mount.

bbyrd
sage

Reged: 10/08/06

Loc: north carolina
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: Mike Conley]
      #4479294 - 03/28/11 10:19 AM

bumping up this thread again.

Would really be interested in what others with this mount and feature think. Is it worth it? Do you use it? etc...
Thanks!

JoshH
sage

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: Jefferson City, MO
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: bbyrd]
      #4480906 - 03/28/11 10:42 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work well as long as everything was setup properly and mounted well. I use DSC on my dob but not on my Unistar, although I have thought about putting a set of encoders on it, but I honestly use my dob more. I really like the Sky Commander for the computer.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: mejacobs]
      #4481338 - 03/29/11 04:21 AM

Hello Michael,
Good to hear from you..,

Quote:

I am a purely visual observer and a real fan of UA's Unistar Deluxe. I am interested what experiences others may have had with DSC's installed on the Unistar (something I do not have but, as a gadget freak, am considering).

I own a UniStar Deluxe + DSC - its great!

Quote:

How well did they work? What computers did you use? Did you install yourself, and if so, how difficult was it?

Taking these in turn - but some background..,

I'm also a visual-only observer, but my main instruments at home are (larger) SCTs. I wanted an airline portable system that I can take my hobby with me on trips I make a few times a year to N & S America and the Caribbean for work and vacation. This the reason for my getting refractors and being a GoTo user when at home, I figured DSC was the most appropriate pointing system I could use on a travel Alt-Az mount.

Now the mount..,

My UniStar Deluxe came with the factory installed DSC. Its the JMI NGC-Max, and it works very well for me. Once aligned, its pretty much a case of inputing or selecting a target and moving the scope until the LED lets you know that you've zeroed in on the object. Once you're there, you start viewing

Quote:

Finally, given that these are relatively pricey gadget, was it worth it, or would you recommend a goto GEM instead?

As a pointing solution for my travel needs, which includes (airline) portability, and zero dependency on battery power, its definitely allowed me the opportunity to enjoy my hobby wherever I go. There are much better skies where I tend to go on my travels, so the UniStar gives me the opportunity to enjoy those skies too.

The DSC - like GoTo at home, just allows me to find targets that much faster, really - I can't imagine having the same capacity without it.

Hope that helps..,

Regards,

skybsd

Harshad

Reged: 10/04/10

Loc: India
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4482030 - 03/29/11 12:04 PM

@Michael
If you are looking for a cheap DSC, a new solution is shaping up.

You can buy encoders directly from US Digital, buy a DSC Bluetooth device from Craig Combes, and then use an android app to interface with it.

The whole thing should be under 150$.

There is an alternative to Craig's device, called BETI. But it is a bit costlier.

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the free android app, which is still under development.

Edited by Harshad (03/29/11 12:07 PM)

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: Harshad]
      #4482900 - 03/29/11 06:08 PM

I had a Unistar Deluxe with encoders and a sky Commander computer and found it quite accurate and VERY easy to use. I'm sorry i sold it as i'm contemplating picking up another in the near future. There a a couple other mounts i can recommend that are more portable and slightly smoother for use with smaller scopes (the Half Hitch and Discmount DM-4) but for anything larger than an 8" SCT the Unistar Deluxe is the way to go, plus it's a lot less expensive.

gatorengineer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Hellertown, PA
Re: DSCs/"push to" with a Unistar? new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4488069 - 03/31/11 10:22 PM

Another vote for a Unistar with Encoders, works great, and is alot of bang for the buck.... I run mine with argo navis, but I imagine many of the DSCs are good.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1500

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics