Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
cpl43uk
sage

Reged: 02/09/08

Loc: Bristol, UK
Talk Material on Sketching DSO's new
      #3716197 - 03/31/10 05:44 AM

I've been asked to give a talk at my local astrosoc on why I sketch when everyone else takes photos

I wondered if any of you out there had a similar powerpoint slide show I might crib from?

Many thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Talk Material on Sketching DSO's new [Re: cpl43uk]
      #3716246 - 03/31/10 07:28 AM

Hi Chris

Sometime ago someone posted here on the sketchforum a beautifull powerpoint about sketching (history, techniques, material,...). Can anybody with a better memory than me help Chris out?

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Talk Material on Sketching DSO's new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3718317 - 04/01/10 08:57 AM

I have one but I won't be able to upload it until I get home from work later. Basically I talked about why I do visual astronomy, the advantages over imaging, how I go about making a sketch, what you can see and so on. I highlighted the cost-effectiveness of visual observing and the fun aspect of it, too.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Talk Material on Sketching DSO's new [Re: FJA]
      #3719903 - 04/01/10 11:25 PM

Jef and Chris,

That was Jeff (NeoDinian) back at the end of January of this year. He put together a rather elaborate PowerPoint Presentation on sketching and logging observations. He requested and used images from some of the CN sketchers here after getting permission. On his late January ? ,2010 post he left a link to the presentation for anyone that wanted to see what he did. I'll bet it is still there.

Frank

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #3719956 - 04/02/10 12:09 AM

I have nothing, but here's some good points you can put in your presentation as to why (or differences):

Why sketch when you can image with a digital camera?

Always Kvetching about Sketching

Some reasons why from my standpoint...

1. If you are a visual observer, sketching teaches you to be a better observer...photographing does not.

2. Photographing does not allow you to record transient phenomenon, only observing and sketching does.

3. Cameras do not "see" what the eye does. They are sensitive to different spectra than the human eye, and more of it, so in the end, the astrophotograph does not and cannot capture what a person will be able to see through a telescope. In addition, you eye sees in the instant, the camera sees the light over time (a time exposure of many minutes), so again, the camera is recording something different than a human eye will see. So a sketch conveys the experience of sight, the astro photograph captures the object as the eye will never be able to see it, perhaps even if you were right there (and easy example of this is a time exposure of a city night skyline...yes beautiful, but not what it looks like when you are there in person at all).

nitrohepcat

Reged: 12/04/07

Loc: Denver, CO
      #3721974 - 04/03/10 01:58 AM

Enclosed is a link to my sketching presentation I made to my club. I had a lot of fun making the presentation, and at the end we practiced sketching from astrophotos and then showed some sketches to compare and contrast.
Good Luck!
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=6efdc884....
(link expires April 07 @ 10:53 PM MST)

cpl43uk
sage

Reged: 02/09/08

Loc: Bristol, UK
Re: Talk Material on Sketching DSO's new [Re: nitrohepcat]
      #3724183 - 04/04/10 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the inputs - now to do some homework ;-)

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
Re: Talk Material on Sketching DSO's [Re: nitrohepcat]
      #3724453 - 04/04/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Enclosed is a link to my sketching presentation I made to my club. I had a lot of fun making the presentation, and at the end we practiced sketching from astrophotos and then showed some sketches to compare and contrast.
Good Luck!
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=6efdc884....
(link expires April 07 @ 10:53 PM MST)

That's a fantastic presentation and totally blows mine out of the water!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 825

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics