Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
gustymars
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/30/09

M1967-02-22-CFCapen
      #3727993 - 04/06/10 10:14 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Not to worry, we used t his and many other drawings of Chick's at ALPO meetings for decades. He was a great Mars drawer, huh? Was cleaning out my closet and found this on the floor! Hope he isn't watching

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: M1967-02-22-CFCapen new [Re: gustymars]
      #3728144 - 04/06/10 11:30 AM

Yes, that is a terrific drawing of Mars. The colors and details couldn't be rendered better.

Frank

ladip63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: the dark skies of Texas
Re: M1967-02-22-CFCapen new [Re: frank5817]
      #3728344 - 04/06/10 01:09 PM

I agree with Frank it is a very nice sketch

gustymars
scholastic sledgehammer

#3728345 - 04/06/10 01:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is a terrific drawing of Mars. The colors and details couldn't be rendered better.

Frank

Somewhere I have his original of that drawing; this one is faded quite a bit. As with other past Mars observers he presented Mars like Lowell in some ways. Tom Cave did too and would talk about it with us; he would never change his style. Some people see “canals” on Mars, as I have on occasion, and tend to draw them as linear striations or whatever. I have seen them in one instant and then turn around a few seconds later and they were not there.

This must seem like I have lost my mind posting those old observations, but some of the past observers need some recent publicity, huh?

Edited by gustymars (04/06/10 01:12 PM)

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #3729719 - 04/07/10 01:51 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Astronomy Sketching from the 20th century was just too early to be seen by the sketchers of today using the internet as a near perfect tool for viewing this type of media. There is a real need to get them the exposure they deserve. Even all great sketchers of the 19th and 18th century don't get the exposure they deserve either.

Frank

Did Chick's drawing look a little more like this?

gustymars
scholastic sledgehammer

#3729830 - 04/07/10 05:29 AM

I think the original was brighter and more colorful, but it has been on display many times and fading.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
      #3734965 - 04/09/10 02:31 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Jeff,

As you and I know Charles F. Capen (Chick) was one of the most talented and knowledgeable planetary astronomers of all time. Chick's knowledge of Mars and his pioneering work with planetary photography is legendary. Chick's observation of Mars is an example of the fine work provided by him on a constant basis. May "canals" are recorded over the Solis Lacus region as well as to the north. I have adjusted his image to what I believe it looked like originally. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I look forward to your observations of Mars.

Carlos

gustymars
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: M1967-02-22-CFCapen new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3735179 - 04/09/10 04:19 PM

Carlos,

I had to curtail my observing for awhile, but should have gone out last night. Last evening as I peered out my patio screen at Venus, fully expecting the hordes of mosquitoes that for the past few days have occurred; but, they were missing in action. Not one single mosquito was there! The night before hundreds of them were trying to get at me through the screen, buzzing and licking their long “lips,” wanting my blood. Weird, I wonder where they went! Funny, all autumn and winter long I saw only a few of them.

Will wait until another planet or Moon comes up.

gustymars
scholastic sledgehammer

#3735419 - 04/09/10 06:36 PM

Carlos, did you get my PM? Seems like every time I PM someone I get the message and I do not think they get it! Reply to me visa PM please. Jeff

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 723

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics