Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ssouza

Reged: 07/13/07

odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior
      #3740199 - 04/12/10 11:36 AM

I had our CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky combination (hand controller rev. 4.15) working well until a power outage. Now after a two-star alignment I can control the mount through the hand controller just fine, but TheSky thinks it is pointing far below the horizon (which it is not). The hand controller reports (using menu>utilities>get alt-az) an altitude of, say, 290 degrees, when the telescope is actually pointing ~70 degrees above the horizon. I am using a tandem bar, and properly setting the OTA orientation to "West." Any ideas?

Steve Souza
Williams College

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: ssouza]
      #3740217 - 04/12/10 11:47 AM

Quote:

Any ideas?

Steve Souza
Williams College

Make sure that TheSky is using the correct date/time/location info.

Tapio
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/06

Loc: Tampere, Finland
Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3740232 - 04/12/10 11:56 AM

Do you park the scope in the end of a session ?
Where does the Sky point (ie the scope) when you start a session ? Near Polaris ?
Altitude can't be 290 degrees, that must be azimuth.
I think you should park the mount and then set your tandem bar so that scopes are pointing at Polaris.

ssouza

Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3740236 - 04/12/10 11:57 AM

Triple-checked the site and time/date info in both TheSky and the hand controller, the ASCOM connection, and redid the alignment several times. I strongly suspect something with the CGEM hand controller, since even without connecting to TheSky the HC reports a nonsense value for the altitude, which could be interpreted as below the horizon. Despite this, pointing from the HC works fine.

Steve

nik hodges
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/07

Loc: UK
      #3740242 - 04/12/10 11:59 AM

why dont you just resync the sky on the correct position?

ssouza

Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: Tapio]
      #3740270 - 04/12/10 12:14 PM

The park position is taken out of the equation because I align the marks on the RA and DEC axes before each alignment. And yes "altitude can't be 290 degrees," but that's just what the hand controller is reporting (I checked it again), so I suspect this is a clue.

Steve

Chris Rowland
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/28/05

Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: nik hodges]
      #3740285 - 04/12/10 12:20 PM

Try a factory reset on the HC and a realign. It's possible that the power outage corrupted the internal memory in the HC.

And compare the Ra and Dec values reported by the HC, not the Alt Az because these are what's used to get the position.

The altitude value can be high depending on the side of the pier the scope is on, on one side it's in the range +90 to 0 to -90 and on the other something like 360 to 180 to 90.

Chris

ssouza

Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: Chris Rowland]
      #3740388 - 04/12/10 01:06 PM

Quote:

Try a factory reset on the HC and a realign. It's possible that the power outage corrupted the internal memory in the HC.

And compare the Ra and Dec values reported by the HC, not the Alt Az because these are what's used to get the position.

The altitude value can be high depending on the side of the pier the scope is on, on one side it's in the range +90 to 0 to -90 and on the other something like 360 to 180 to 90.

Chris

I'll try the factory reset, and then my next move is to update the HC firmware. I did not specifically compare the numerical RA/DEC between the HC and The Sky, but from the graphic display they do not agree.

Reporting "altitude" greater than 90 degrees on one side of the meridian is an odd software design choice, no?

Thanks,
Steve

Chris Rowland
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/28/05

#3741078 - 04/12/10 06:21 PM

Quote:

Reporting "altitude" greater than 90 degrees on one side of the meridian is an odd software design choice, no?

Not at all, the "alt" and "azm" are reporting the true dec and hour angle axis positions and this is what happens with a GEM scope for the two pointing modes required for the two pier sides.

I've spent a lot of time with this, sorting out the SideOfPier property in the ASCOM driver, it does your head in :-)

Chris

ssouza

Re: odd CGEM/ASCOM/TheSky behavior new [Re: Chris Rowland]
      #3742403 - 04/13/10 11:29 AM

Last night I flashed the HC to version 4.16, and all is now well, so the power glitch must have scrambled something in the HC. Thanks to everyone for helping!

Steve

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 572

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics