Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Hrundi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/08

Loc: Estonia
Whale and hockey stick
      #3747698 - 04/15/10 10:07 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

NGC 4631, its satellite NGC 4627, NGC 4656 and the bright starforming knot NGC 4657.

Used my 12" dob.
The second I saw these two galaxies, I knew they'd have to be my second sketching attempt. I have to unfortunately admit that due to me wanting to maximize my time staring at the sky (since the observing season is coming to and end), I did not sketch the starfields.
I sketched them separately, mostly at x161. I'll link to the separate sketches, and attach the one where I combined them both to sort of give my low power 'eyepiece view'.

The hockey stick The whale galaxy

Edited by Hrundi (04/15/10 10:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mathteacher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/07

Loc: Oakland, CA
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: Hrundi]
      #3747781 - 04/15/10 10:41 PM

That looks very realistic.

ladip63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: the dark skies of Texas
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: mathteacher]
      #3749173 - 04/16/10 05:28 PM

Looks really nice Keep up the good work.

Hrundi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/08

Loc: Estonia
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: ladip63]
      #3749491 - 04/16/10 08:36 PM

Thanks I'm still not quite sure if this is where I want to be, sketching wise, so tips and hints would be appreciated.

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: Hrundi]
      #3749526 - 04/16/10 08:57 PM

An excellent observation of the"Whale and the Hockey Stick." You have recorded these two galaxies very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3749902 - 04/17/10 01:23 AM

Hrundi,

Nice sketch of this pair of bright galaxies

Frank

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Whale and hockey stick new [Re: frank5817]
      #3751318 - 04/17/10 10:58 PM

Hrundi,

Nice capture of these two fun galaxies. I like the mottling and brightness in the upper part of the whale. Also, I have found when asking for input from others, to ask for specific areas that you want input on. It seems to be easier for people to respond to specific questions. By the way, I really am enjoying viewing your sketches so please keep them coming!

Also, if your processing your sketches digitally here is something that came to me that I am starting to incorporate into my sketches. When you refine your stars, first print a copy of the object and the field of view from an astro program like Starry Night Pro or The Sky (Stellarium may, but I'm not familiar enough with it) and then see what the magnitude of stars are for each of the stars in your sketch. Then assign a specific value for a magnitude. In GIMP for example a Mag. 13 star may be 0.7 if that reflects what I saw. Or a Mag 8 star may be a 4.5 for example. I guess come up for a scale for your stars both for when you sketch in the field, and when you refine digitally. This is something I am currently working on.
One last item, you can usually add a softglow feature to your stars also that I find to add some realism to the stars, though I know of some who don't like that added. That will be up to you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 892

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics