Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
another mars sketch 16 april
      #3750042 - 04/17/10 06:11 AM

i had a fun evening last night showing my future brother in law venus, the thin moon crescent, mars and saturn. it was nice because he was really interested too bad we didn't have an earlier opportunity to view mars because he wanted to see it back in january, and now the planet is just too small to appreciate for someone who hasn't seen it before thru a scope in his life! he kept looking at saturn for half an hour though and managed to spot 4 moons by himslef, 2 of wich were located just above and beyond the rings. he saw them before me i'll post a sketch of that later.

seeing wasn't great for this sketch of mars, but i managed to see some detail over the disk. the polar cap is really small now, and the planet looks hazy with brighter regions at the preceding and following edge as well as the south polar region. this may offcourse be just me not seeing very well on a small disk because i wasn't able to resolve sinus sabaeus from mare erythraeum!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: another mars sketch 16 april new [Re: Kris.]
      #3750371 - 04/17/10 11:11 AM

Kris,

That is a beautiful late season sketch of Mars. I know for sure you will keep going on these wonderful renderings. As for myself it is getting tougher faster.
I was showing Mars to my non-observer wife last evening and she thought it had a nice color but looked kind of minuscule.

Frank

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: another mars sketch 16 april new [Re: frank5817]
      #3750430 - 04/17/10 11:58 AM

Very accurate drawing and description Kris. Well done, Mars is tough now and requires good seeing.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: another mars sketch 16 april new [Re: dweller25]
      #3750599 - 04/17/10 02:25 PM

Kris
Another nice sketch from Mars. I hope you don't have to redraw your map now
What was the smalest Mars you ever observed with (some) detail on it?

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: another mars sketch 16 april new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3751498 - 04/18/10 01:33 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Kris,

An excellent observation of Mars, especially at such a small apparent diameter (8"). You were able to record a good amount of albedo features in less than perfect seeing. You probably did not detect Sinus Sabaeus because it appears there existed a bright haze over the preceding (evening) limb. I labeled the most prominent albedo features. Thank you for this and all of your other wonderful Mars observations made during the apparition.

Carlos

Kris.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/04

Loc: Belgium
Re: another mars sketch 16 april new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3752355 - 04/18/10 02:43 PM

thanks guys, and carlos for labeling!

Jef: 30th June last year was my first sketch this apparition, mars was only 4,9" but syrtis major and hellas were on view, it helps when a large, dark and distinct feature is in view then.

i don't think i'll be able to spot some detail on the jovian moons though like Leo Aerts and others here like Carlos!

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 739

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics