Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09

Loc: Bartow FL.
Back to the Sketchy side of things. new
      #3752533 - 04/18/10 04:16 PM

I've missed you guys & gals. Don't know how long it's been since my last sketch. Well I've come back to you on my knees to beg for foregiveness. I took a hiatus from the God given talent I once took for granted to try my hand at "ASTROPHOTOS". A small CCD camera,telescope,and Astroview mount. I was going to rival the Hubble telescope with my photos........Sorry I lost my thesaurus but what is another word for torturing ones self. Maybe a book on how to suck the fun out of astronomy for cheap. Don't get me wrong the pics amatuers take now *BLEEP* away however.. I came to realize sitting in front of a computer for 3 hours trying to remove noise,light pollution, and grain made me forget why I do this. "FOR FUN" and "FOR ME" that is the reason for your hobby. So this comming weekend I am ripping the pier out of my newley built observatory to replace it with my 12" nudge-able dob.I could keep my small scopes on my pier and just observe through them but that would be to much of a temptation. Plus 12" is better than 5" right. More to the naked eye. Thank you.Now back to the lost art of wonder and fun. You guys are great for sticking to the true Art of talent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. new [Re: Shannon s]
      #3753083 - 04/18/10 08:53 PM

Hi Shannon,

OK you are forgiven. Those astrophotographers are great in my book. They are just using a different part of their brains that is not as close to the fun section.
To be fully forgiven by some members here you need to post a sketch.

Frank

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. new [Re: frank5817]
      #3753167 - 04/18/10 09:42 PM

No need for forgiveness. As my 17 year old daughter says "To err is human but to realize the cause of the error shows a superior intellect." I just think she is trying to cover up when she makes a mistake personally.

Frank, great post btw.

Edited by JayinUT (04/18/10 09:43 PM)

TomN
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/14/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. new [Re: JayinUT]
      #3753391 - 04/18/10 11:45 PM

Glad you came to your senses. I tried AP many years ago now, and quickly came to the same conclusion. And that was in the days of film only.... It's much less fun these days!

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. new [Re: TomN]
      #3753400 - 04/18/10 11:49 PM

Shannon,

Welcome back to the land of observers. I have the greatest respect for imagers as you see the obstacles that must be overcome in the art/science of imaging. Most of the best imagers that I know are outstanding observers as well. We look forward to your wonderful observations on the forum in the future.

Carlos

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09

Loc: Bartow FL.
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3754849 - 04/19/10 04:41 PM

Thanks my friends. Frank, I'll get some up soon. I have a couple hundred pounds of to move ( hammer drill & grinder).My Observatory is getting crowded.

ladip63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/17/07

Loc: the dark skies of Texas
Re: Back to the Sketchy side of things. [Re: Shannon s]
      #3758677 - 04/21/10 12:06 PM

Shannon,
Welcome back. I thought about AP but when I observed several club members and ask what it would take $$$. I opted for the cheap way, sketching and glad that I took it up. AP is still in the back of my mind, but I love sketching now!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics