Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing
      #3774168 - 04/28/10 06:11 PM

Losmandy G11's come stock with a two piece worm bearing block that may shift and cause minor periodic error. There are a few aftermarket fixes such as the O-Vision aftermarket worm and block, and the Martin Farmer worm block. There have been rumors that Losmandy will be releasing their own one piece worm block in the near future.

I sent an email to Losmandy last night inquiring as to the price and availability of the new one piece worm block. Scott Losmandy replied this morning and said they would be available next month for $295. That's as much as I know. I don't know if they will be installed by default on new G11's, or just available as an upgrade.

I told Scott that I would pass it on to the group.

Thanks
Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #3774188 - 04/28/10 06:19 PM

I also received the same information confirming price and availability from Jim Bielaga of Aurora Astro (www.auroraastro.com) about the same time that I sent my original email to the group. Thanks Jim!

Steve

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #3774269 - 04/28/10 07:10 PM

Hello Steve,
Thanks so much for posting the news here for the benefit of G11 owners here on CN.

I know that there are a number of G11 owners and perhaps prospective buyers who will be happy to know that there is the option of a Losmandy-native option as well as a cheaper one to the Ovision solution.

Did either Scott or Jim indicate whether or not the new worm block would be applicable to both RA and DEC assemblies?

Thanks again..,

Regards,

skybsd

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: skybsd]
      #3774478 - 04/28/10 09:37 PM

Everything is identical with the two setups, so I see no reason why it would not work on either axis?
Blueman

Strgazr27

Reged: 10/04/04

Loc: StonyHill Observatory
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: blueman]
      #3774507 - 04/28/10 10:00 PM

Good info.

For those that want to save a good chunk of change there is another cheaper fix that has worked for a few people. using the stock metal worm cover. Pull the cover and the blocks. Remove the bearings from the blocks and gently tighten them back into position on the mount. Place the cover back on and making sure they are square, drill through the metal covers and into the center of the worm block. Remove the blocks, tap the holes, clean them out and re-install the bearings. Install the worm into the blocks, loosely mount them in place and screw the cover to the worm blocks. make sure you use a short enough screw to just make it into the block without going to far. Adjust the worm as you normally would.

I would still go with the Ovision block and worm unless the other products, Scott's included, show the same improvement in tracking.

emflocater

Reged: 07/05/11

Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: Strgazr27]
      #6333826 - 01/24/14 11:13 PM

Hi List. Does anybody know if the Losmandy worm situation has been corrected. In other words is there a newer updated revised version of the Losmandy G11. I am interested in purchasing this mount but I don't want to spend that kind of money to have to spend more money to correct problems. I would rather spend more money on a better mount without issues. So has their been a new version since 2010? Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you.
Don

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: emflocater]
      #6334044 - 01/25/14 01:55 AM

The issue wasn't the design just the batch that was produced. Other than the few 2010 people who reported issues on here, there really hasn't been any other issues.

Scott is very good about taking care of his customers. Give him a call, you can no kidding talk to him directly.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: Raginar]
      #6334076 - 01/25/14 02:35 AM

I second that bit about Scott being very good. He has provided me with the best customer service I have ever seen. I'm one of those people who got a bad batch, but I am sending the mount back to him for repairs in a few days and he is doing the repair for free. How is that for customer service?

Do I like the mount? That's another story, being one of the people with the bad batch, I didnt get to enjoy my mount much, but I figure after he fixes it, its a sound design for a mount and it would not have survived for this long on market if it was not a good design.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6334987 - 01/25/14 02:18 PM

Ahhh Hilmi, Glad to hear you are finally sending it back to Scott. I know it will cost you a lot for shipping but I also know he will fix you up. Please let us know how things work out.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: davebuechler]
      #6335058 - 01/25/14 03:04 PM

I found somebody traveling to the US and they accepted to carry the mount with their luggage and ship it for me from New York, cutting my shipping cost to something far more acceptable.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#6335065 - 01/25/14 03:07 PM

Quote:

I found somebody traveling to the US and they accepted to carry the mount with their luggage and ship it for me from New York, cutting my shipping cost to something far more acceptable.

Yay NIce to have friends who can help!!!

Hilmi
Post Laureate

#6335115 - 01/25/14 03:34 PM

I was actually thinking nice to have a little sister you can bully or bribe into helping

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6335190 - 01/25/14 04:17 PM

That was very nice of your sister. Lugging a 35 pound mount around an airport in addition to her other luggage is no small matter. I hope it all goes smoothly for her, and for you.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#6335191 - 01/25/14 04:17 PM

LOL

Gotta love family. I am sure she will find some way for you to repay the favor! Awesome though and good luck. How is it going to travel, Pelican case?

Hilmi
Post Laureate

#6335218 - 01/25/14 04:31 PM

SKB case. The pluck foam isnt very reassuring so I will fill the gaps with extra packing material

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#6335230 - 01/25/14 04:36 PM

I hope for her sake it has rollers! Like Joe said….super nice of her!!

Sorry Steve for sidetracking your thread!

emflocater

Reged: 07/05/11

#6335254 - 01/25/14 04:51 PM

Thanks Folks for your feedback. When the time comes I will personally speak with Scott. Maybe he can personally check out the mount and test it thoroughly for me before he ships.
Cheers
Don

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Losmandy G11 one piece worm block pricing new [Re: emflocater]
      #6335970 - 01/26/14 02:42 AM

Quote:

Hi List. Does anybody know if the Losmandy worm situation has been corrected. In other words is there a newer updated revised version of the Losmandy G11. I am interested in purchasing this mount but I don't want to spend that kind of money to have to spend more money to correct problems. I would rather spend more money on a better mount without issues. So has their been a new version since 2010? Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you.
Don

I ordered my G11 with the OPWB for both the RA and DEC in 2011. So you can get it pre-installed, but at extra cost.

When I first got the mount there was no evidence of the 76 second error (which the OPWB prevents), but the PE seemed high. Actually it just turned out to be backlash, easily fixed by making sure your RA balance has an east bias and the DEC balance has a bias towards the lower end of the OTA. I was found it was easy to swap the RA and DEC motor/gearbox/opwb assemblies. If they have unequal PE, you want the better one on the RA. The high end mounts, like the AP, do not require as much attention to balance/bias for good results according to what I read in the forums.

If you look at my stuff on the astrobin site, it is all unguided with PEC turned off, so you can have some idea of how well its native tracking capability is. When I go to a larger OTA I will add PEC and/or autoguiding and see how that goes.

Gale

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2487

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics