Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dertachyon

Reged: 12/10/09

Mount replacement for classic C8 new
      #3765490 - 04/24/10 12:54 PM

Hi all,

My name is Roberto and I like a lot astronomy. I found this website and now it's my favorite.

At the beggining of this year I bought a classic Celestron C8 telescope that comes with a fork and a really heavy tripod. I want to buy computerized mount like the CG-5GT, and I want to know if it is possible.

Is is to dangerous removing the fork ? Where can I buy the dovetails bars ?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arizona-Ken
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/08

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Re: Mount replacement for classic C8 new [Re: dertachyon]
      #3765546 - 04/24/10 01:45 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I remounted an old '81 Orange-Tube C8 about two years ago on a CG-5GT mount and it works very well.

You'll need to get a Vixen style dovetail bar and mount it to the C8. If your C8 is old like mine, you'll need radius blocks to get the dovetail centered on the tube. Both Losmandy and ADM have a kit for the C8; our CN sponsor, Astronomics, sells the Losmandy parts as #VSCT13 ($61.75) for the dovetail and #VCB8 ($25) for the radius blocks. Call Astronomics to make sure this will work for you.

If you don't have the mount, shop around. You should be able to get it for less than $600.

Removing the fork is not very hard, but you'll want to put short bolts in the resulting holes that do not get inside the tube and possibly interfere with the mirror movement during focusing.

My new mount made the old C8 a pleasure to use. You will love the result!

Arizona Ken

Brian Risley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
Re: Mount replacement for classic C8 new [Re: Arizona-Ken]
      #3766268 - 04/24/10 10:03 PM

When removing the fork, lay the scope down on a towel with one side of the fork up, remove the 2 screws at the base of the fork which will allow the arm to move freely. Once that is done, hold the arm and then remove the 2 screws holding the fork to the tube. That way you don't damage the tube. The replacement of the OTA screws with short ones is critical. They should not extend into the tube. Once one side is done, flip it over and take the ota off the other. Then you can put the other fork arm back on the base. Real simple job! Good luck with it.
Brian

Pierre Stromberg
sage

Reged: 02/07/08

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Re: Mount replacement for classic C8 [Re: Brian Risley]
      #3784946 - 05/04/10 12:58 AM

I deforked my orange tube C8 and put it on an Orion Atlas mount. It's been a great match.

P

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 602

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics