Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Ball bearings and CG4 mount
      #3787603 - 05/05/10 11:38 AM

I bought a CG4 Omni XLT mount, the new white one, for my TV 85 and it is a nice mount for the money but the manual motions and slow motion control of the declination axis were a bit jerky so I decided to re lubricate just the declination axis. Rather than finding the dreaded glue like grease I found that the grease was somewhat sparse especially on the worm gear. I cleaned all the parts and used a good quality grease and reassembled the the declination axis and it is very smooth now. What puzzled me though is that I have seen statements that the new CG4 Omni XLT mounts have ball bearings in both axis. I know what a ball bearing looks like and did not find any in my CG4's declination axis. The mount performs well so this is not a deal breaker for me. The R.A. axis was smooth with no slop right out of the box by the way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mohananv
journeyman

Reged: 05/07/10

Re: Ball bearings and CG4 mount new [Re: Nippon]
      #3796731 - 05/10/10 06:35 AM

Where is ball bearing meant to be? I haven't come across any :/

astrokido
space wanderer

Reged: 06/09/08

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ball bearings and CG4 mount new [Re: mohananv]
      #3797015 - 05/10/10 10:39 AM

That must be an advertisement wording trick, they're all bearings, they're just not ball/roller bearing like you'd think! Did you measure the PE of the mount after re-lubing? It would be nice to know.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ball bearings and CG4 mount new [Re: astrokido]
      #3801548 - 05/12/10 02:05 PM

The wording i have seen said ball bearings in both axis of the mount. The Dec. axis on the CG4 is a center steel shaft with a sleeve that has the gear cut into it surrounding the steel shaft and that whole assembly sits in a machined cup section of the Dec housing. When you move the scope by hand the geared sleeve turns inside the cup. When you lock the declination lock the sleeve stays in one place and you can use the slow motion control which turns the center steel shaft inside the geared sleeve. The R.A. axis has to have a similar set up. Perhaps since there is a bearing surrounded by a bearing in either the Dec or R.A. axis, perhaps ball bearings in both axis means that they use ball bearings through out in the R.A. axis. I only relubed the Dec axis so there would be no effect on the PE.

Pages: 1

Extra information
31 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics