Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Charles Hall

Reged: 03/25/09

Any point in homemade mounts? new
      #3797314 - 05/10/10 01:23 PM

Is there any point these days in trying to build your own mount? I was thinking of buying a "classic" 8-inch Dobsonian ($330) and making my own mount, and adding the electronic object locator myself. But something like Sky Commander runs over $500, and I could buy that same 8" scope with Orion's Intelliscope for only $530. Other than making a hand-rubbed or plywood-instead-of-flakeboard Dob mount, is there any point in trying to build your own mount any more?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Any point in homemade mounts? new [Re: Charles Hall]
      #3797335 - 05/10/10 01:34 PM

Quote:

Is there any point these days in trying to build your own mount? I was thinking of buying a "classic" 8-inch Dobsonian ($330) and making my own mount, and adding the electronic object locator myself. But something like Sky Commander runs over $500, and I could buy that same 8" scope with Orion's Intelliscope for only $530. Other than making a hand-rubbed or plywood-instead-of-flakeboard Dob mount, is there any point in trying to build your own mount any more?

Charles: I think there are some good reasons to make your own mount. For an 8 inch telescope there may not be a big pay off but it still maybe worthwhile. A few advantages:

- You can make it stiffer, less prone to vibration.

- You can improve on the action, the smoothness, freedom from stiction.

- With the Intelliscope, you are stuck with the Orion system, you sell the scope, the sell the Intelliscope with it. Other DSCs are more flexible, you can use them with any scope, you just need to mount the encoders. So once you have invested in the Sky Commander, you can use it with any scope you now have or will ever have...

Jon

John Noble
sage

Reged: 05/07/08

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Re: Any point in homemade mounts? [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #3800693 - 05/12/10 02:50 AM

Forget the DSCs and just print up a degree circle for the azimuth and buy a cheap digital level for altitude. Use whatever suits you for getting current alt/az coordinates. I use a self-written HP scientific calculator program and a mechanical wristwatch, but an iPhone with the right app would work nicely too.

The system is cheap, simple, fast to use, and deadly accurate. My "finder" eyepiece for my 10 inch Sky-Watcher truss dob is a 15mm Axiom LX--which gives a whopping 1.1 degree TFOV--and I can hit anything I want on the first try. I don't think I uncapped my finder the last time I was out.

If you've got decent woodworking skills you can probably build something nicer than any of the commercial offerings in the price range you're talking about.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 577

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics