Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Tripod Leg Spreader Replacement Hinge/Pivot new
      #3800230 - 05/11/10 09:44 PM

On a generic inexpensive Celestron/Meade tripod, the spreader connects to each leg using a short (~2 inch) rod or pin that fits into a couple of metal "U" shaped parts that are screwed into the leg.

This joint contributes a lot of tripod movement. Someone made a replacement black plastic assembly that was better than this stock joint, but I can't recall who or where, nor can I successfully search for this information. Maybe someone can help me on this quest.

Why - because I have a tripod that is generally all that I want it to be, except for this wiggly joint. I really don't want a complete redesign, just a replacement hinge or pivot connection that is tighter. As plan "B" I will add a clear plastic spacer tube around the pins.

Thanks in advance...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gary Bennett
Vendor

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: Toronto, ON
Re: Tripod Leg Spreader Replacement Hinge/Pivot new [Re: JimK]
      #3801223 - 05/12/10 11:07 AM

Dave Yates makes a terriffic aluminum tripod spider assembly/spreader that fits EQ6, CGEM, CGE, CPC HEQ5, LX200, etc. tripods. There is an optional battery tray that adds even more stability. Check it out:
tpiastro.com

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Tripod Leg Spreader Replacement Hinge/Pivot [Re: Gary Bennett]
      #3802255 - 05/12/10 09:23 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Thanks Gary - it sure looks like Mr. Yates makes a nice spreader.

However, I don't think his products will work on my non-cylindrical tripod legs.

I've attached a picture to clarify the arrangement that I wish to improve. Ideally, someone can point me to the person/vendor who makes/made the replacement joint.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1203

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics