Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
kpendlebury
Vendor Main Sequence Software

Reged: 11/12/08

Loc: Central TX
Mount Power Question
      #3802533 - 05/13/10 12:06 AM

I currently own a CGEM mount and in the next 6 months or so might upgrade to a Losmandy G11 with Gemini.

The CGEM is pretty happy with my 12V, 3A power supply, but I have read many reports that this is an "iffy" range for the G11 and that it is happier at ~18V.

My question is this (please keep in mind I don't know much about EE stuff... even basic stuff):

I currently own a 0-18V, 0-3 Amp AC to DC power supply that I would like to use for mount power if possible. The part that confuses me is that it clearly states that it has constant voltage -OR- constant current and has a dial to control each. Is this type of power supply adequate for powering a DC mount or am I getting myself into trouble heading down that path? Losmandy states that the G11 requires 1.5A.

If interested, I have this model:
http://www.frys.com/product/4592127?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thanks for any advice.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Noble
sage

Reged: 05/07/08

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Re: Mount Power Question new [Re: kpendlebury]
      #3802604 - 05/13/10 12:55 AM

(putting on my electro-boy beanie)

It will work fine in the sense that it will supply enough current (that's the "amps") at the correct voltage: just set the voltage to 18VDC (or whatever the mount wants) and don't use the constant current mode (or crank the current limit up to maximum). I seriously doubt the mount draws 1.5A all the time--that's probably the maximum when ramping up to a full speed slew.

BUT ... lab equipment like that isn't made to be out in the damp night air--if there's significant dew you will have problems sooner or later. I'd look into using 12 or so NiMH rechargeable batteries for 14.4VDC nominal. You might get away with AA size ($2.50/ea. for Sanyo Eneloop at Amazon plus $30 for a La Crosse Technology BC-700 charger), which would be mighty convenient. If not, D cells with 4-5X more capacity would definitely do the job ($10/ea.).

Better yet, ask Losmandy what they suggest for power.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 368

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics