Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
kpendlebury
Vendor Main Sequence Software

Reged: 11/12/08

Loc: Central TX
Takahashi EM-11 Confused...
      #3806478 - 05/14/10 11:44 PM

Hello,

Wondering anyone can clarify some discrepancies I am seeing with respect to EM-11 Temma 2 specs. I am considering this mount due to its price point, but can't find a staright answer on the actual imaging weight capacity (with or without counterweights).

On OPTs site:
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=4293

In one sentence they say that the weight capacity is 25 lbs (assuming w/o counterweights) and then in the specs directly below, they say that the max loading capacity w/o counterweights is 9 Kg (19 lbs).

Can anyone clarify? It seems that the Temma 2 version might have a slightly higher capacity than the USD III and Temma 2 Jr.? Not sure.

I would use this mount with a SV105T and ST80 guider and this comes in at about 17 lbs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skyler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/16/06

Loc: TGPNW
Re: Takahashi EM-11 Confused... new [Re: kpendlebury]
      #3808775 - 05/16/10 01:36 PM

Hello kpendlebury-

I owned an EM10 with upgraded motors that was at least equivalent to the EM11 according to Art. It was a great and easy setup mount. I did notice that for imaging, it did best up to about 20 pounds and then above that, there was increased error in tracking although it could still be done with shorter focal lengths. I think it can handle up to 30lbs for visual but my actual experience was with imaging so I cannot confirm the 30lb rating.

I noticed that with an 106 FSQ with Tak FS60 guide scope and full imaging train, it did not track as well as on the EM200. It was still manageable but a lot more +- errors compared to the EM200.

Both EM200 and EM10 had the Temma II setup and my assessed rating is w/o CCWs.

Hope this gets you in the ball park.

S

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics