Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
What PHD settings for an AP Mach1 GTO mount? new
      #3810827 - 05/17/10 03:06 PM

I've replaced my old LXD75 with a Mach1. Clearly it is a very different beast and PHD settings that worked with the LXD75 are unlikely to be optimal for the Mach1. I'm wondering what PHD settings and duration are optimal to use with the Mach1? Mind sharing the settings you use? Also basic guider info such as type of camera and focal length of your guide scope would be useful for comparison.
...Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: What PHD settings for an AP Mach1 GTO mount? new [Re: microstar]
      #3811120 - 05/17/10 05:51 PM

I may be way off base here, but PHD setting are more so dependent on f ratios and focal length of the scopes you're using than the type of mount.

I've used PHD with a CGE and an MI250 and used it successfully with the default settings. Similar guide scopes for both mounts; a Megrez 90 and a TMB80SS. Two second capture, calibrate and off it goes. One guiding a 12" LX200, the other a C14. Or is there something I'm missing?

David

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: What PHD settings for an AP Mach1 GTO mount? [Re: David Pavlich]
      #3811212 - 05/17/10 06:38 PM

It was a struggle to guide my LXD75. Generally I guided with 1 sec exposures, and couldn't push it much beyond that without getting too much movement, but at 1 sec you are more often than not chasing the seeing. Playing with the aggressiveness and hysteresis settings seemed to help reduce the aggressive jumps of the LXD75. My thinking was that with the Mach1 the error is so much less and smoother I should be able to guide at 5 sec or more intervals and be less susceptible to poor seeing. Also I was wondering if people tweaked the aggressiveness and/or hysteresis settings with a much smoother/low PE mount? I guide with a DSIpro and a ZenithStar 66SD. Am I on the right track or just stick with the defaults?
...Keith

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 622

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics