Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: New Rochelle, New York
Re: Grab and Go Mount - Really new [Re: Oldfield]
      #3812832 - 05/18/10 01:43 PM

I give another vote for the Vixen SXW. With a crossover LAN cable, a Netbook, a lumicon off axis guider And Phd for autoguiding you are set.
CS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kohudson
sage

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Mayhill, NM
Re: Grab and Go Mount - Really new [Re: doctordub]
      #3812877 - 05/18/10 02:08 PM

Hmmm... Well, this is interesting. Two votes for the Vixen SXW since I "decided" to buy the Sirius. I guess it's a good thing that I haven't actually ordered the Sirius yet! Steven and Jonathan - I appreciate your input. Like I said in the original post, I was leaning towards the Vixen and now you have me thinking about it again. I do like it - I just started getting a little concerned about the Starbook. There are definitely some concerns that have been raised in other threads. Since I haven't ordered anything I'm still open-minded, though. Steven, I thought your image was beautiful, by the way.

Oldfield, I appreciate your Takahashi suggestion but I think it's beyond my price point unless I can find one used for a steal...

hfjacinto - thanks for the LXD 75 suggestion, too.

I still think it's going go come down to the Sirius vs the SXW...

Thanks

sctchun
sage

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: On a rock in the middle of the...
Re: Grab and Go Mount - Really new [Re: kohudson]
      #3812897 - 05/18/10 02:23 PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks! A couple of things I would suggest you purchase if you do get the SXW is to get the Polar Alignment Scope and the StarBook screen filters. The PAS really helps you get setup a lot faster and the filters helps mitigate the Starbook brightness problem.

Steven

Edited by sctchun (05/18/10 02:25 PM)

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: New Rochelle, New York
Re: Grab and Go Mount - Really new [Re: sctchun]
      #3813192 - 05/18/10 04:30 PM

I have had my Sphinx since 2004. i have used it with my TV102 and Meade 8" SCT. It is light, rigid and stable. I have imaged with it for 2min unguided when it is polar aligned. with the updated sofware I have not had any problems with it. The screen is a bit on the bright side, but mine came with two screen shields that I found useful.
CS

Samir Kharusi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/14/05

Loc: Oman
Re: Grab and Go Mount - Really [Re: kohudson]
      #3813648 - 05/18/10 08:32 PM

Quote:

Samir - Thanks for the word of warning. Thanks also for the suggestion of camera lenses. You don't often see people making that recommendation. Why is that? Your suggestion is definitely worth considering although I already have a scope I'd like to use (the SV80S).

Thanks!

I think we all start off with the old adages against camera lenses, but when I did head-to-head comparos between decent camera lenses and a couple of top-of-the-heap premium, top $ imaging APOs (not semi-APOs, but top $ TV imaging scopes) I was surprised at how well camera lenses did. I have the reviews on my website below. Anyway, a fairly absurd application of a camera lens is when one uses it with stacked tele-extenders, a 1.4x and a 2x. Believe it or not, this Venus Transit came through 29 (yes!!!) lens elements:

Larger version here.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics