Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jolasa

Reged: 05/14/10

Loc: Bay Area, California
Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port
      #3826078 - 05/24/10 03:37 PM

Folks with a Meade LXD75 Mount.

Does the AUX port/plug accept a guider (like a SBIG ST-402)or an autoguider (like Meade Autoguider)?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port new [Re: jolasa]
      #3826090 - 05/24/10 03:44 PM

No. The easy way to guide an LXD75 is to use ASCOM via the serial port on the handbox. The more complicated way is to add an accessory port module (APM909), which incorporates an ST-4 style autoguide port. The APM-909 is no longer available from Meade, though; you'd have to find one second-hand.

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3826265 - 05/24/10 04:58 PM

Its really easy to use the laptop serial port and the Autoguider to control the LXD75. Some words of warning, some of the ASCOM drivers don't work well on Vista 64 BIT and most of the USB to Serial Hubs are junk, you need to find a good one like this one: Keyspan USB

What I did was install the ASCOM drivers for MEADE. Connect the SSAG Autoguider, started the software and selected Mount>ASCOM>MEADE.

The first couple of times when using the cheap USB to Serial connector I purchased (not the one I recommended) I couldn't get the laptop to connect to the Mount, when I realized the laptop had a serial connection, no more issues. I am even able to use the Autostar software to connect and control the mount.

You will need several items:

1) USB To Serial Connection
2) Serial to Phone Line connection
3) The phone line (its a 6 pin width at the USB port and 4 pin at the handcontroller).

Import links:

USB to Serial (above)
Serial to Phone Jack and Cables, I got mine from EBAY. 505 Cable

jolasa

Reged: 05/14/10

Loc: Bay Area, California
Re: Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #3826900 - 05/24/10 10:34 PM

Thanks hfjacinto.

What is a SSAG autoguider?

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port new [Re: jolasa]
      #3827510 - 05/25/10 08:51 AM

Starshoot Soltaire Autoguider from Orion

Jeff Lee
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/06

#3828682 - 05/25/10 06:57 PM

You can get a 909 clone.

I am not affiliated but here the url:

http://www.astrogene1000.com/products/as_909/as_909_clone.htm

Several different versions, but all use the AUX port and give you a ST-4 port. If you use a LVI SSAG you don't need a computer.

ibabcock

Reged: 02/10/08

#5534327 - 11/22/12 06:51 PM

I keep reading about connecting the SSAG as a step but how --do I use both jacks on the SSAG or just the usb since there is no direct link to LXD75 mount? I have a Meade 505 cable from computer to the handbox and can drive the mount with Stellarium. I have the usb from computer to SSAG, but cannot connect to scope in PHD due to ASCOM error. Does SSAG drive out the same 505 cable to the handbox? Otherwise it appears I have to disconnect SSAG from handbox and reconnect Stellarium to handbox each time I want to change target locations?

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Meade LXD75 Mount and Aux port new [Re: ibabcock]
      #5537672 - 11/24/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

I keep reading about connecting the SSAG as a step but how --do I use both jacks on the SSAG or just the usb since there is no direct link to LXD75 mount? I have a Meade 505 cable from computer to the handbox and can drive the mount with Stellarium. I have the usb from computer to SSAG, but cannot connect to scope in PHD due to ASCOM error. Does SSAG drive out the same 505 cable to the handbox? Otherwise it appears I have to disconnect SSAG from handbox and reconnect Stellarium to handbox each time I want to change target locations?

You don't have to use "in-camera" guiding, you can just connect the SSAG to the laptop using the USB cable and use PHD guiding to guide the mount through the 505 cable from the laptop. It's much less complicated and works very well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2715

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics