Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Template for digital sketching
      #3853329 - 06/08/10 09:12 AM

I picked up a Wacom and I have an old copy of Photoshop and I have been "training" myself with different brushes and techniques. I am really excited on getting started with digital sketching at the eyepiece. My question is how does everyone get those great looking sketches to be so perfect every time? Is there a template that is available, one that has the text fields for the object, description etc and of course the circle for the drawing available to download? Are they any "how to's" on creating this template?

Thanks for your all your help ahead of time for this sketching noob.

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Re: Template for digital sketching new [Re: geminijk]
      #3853353 - 06/08/10 09:30 AM

Quote:

My question is how does everyone get those great looking sketches to be so perfect every time?

Well it is called "digital sketching" so you get to edit your work as much as you like until it is "perfect"

Quote:

Is there a template that is available, one that has the text fields for the object, description etc and of course the circle for the drawing available to download?

I think for Americans the best bet is to use the ones at Jeremy Perez's website: http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/templates.html

And if you're looking for a template, why not make your own? This way you surely get all in there you want! Creating the circle with a black edges takes less than a minute in Photoshop. For example like this: http://www.kolumbus.fi/jaakko.saloranta/Circle.gif

Then add the fields you want and voilá! Perfect fit for your ever needs!

/Jake

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Re: Template for digital sketching new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #3853362 - 06/08/10 09:36 AM

Here's what's in the FDSS (Finnish Deep Sky Section) deep sky observing (cardboard)card:

Object info (RA, DEC, magnitude, size etc...)
Date and time
Observer
Observing site
Telescope
Magnification
Field of view
Filter (if any)

Background brightness
Limiting magnitude
Transparency
Seeing
Weather

Visuality of the object
Altitude of the object
Description of the object

/J

PS. I sometimes use "general sky conditions" in my electric form to log aurora glow etc.

geminijk
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/03/08

Loc: TN
Re: Template for digital sketching new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #3854220 - 06/08/10 06:34 PM

lol...guess i have a tendency to over complicate matters. I thought it was much more involved then a simple circle. Some of those sketches have so much consistency on where the text is placed, spacing, etc, that there has to be some template folks have, just thought I'd ask first before reinventing the wheel myself. I'll get something together, maybe share final revision.

Thanks for the other info, that will help to ensure the sketches include any secondary info.

thx john

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 787

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics