Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Lessons studying Copernicus
      #3859719 - 06/11/10 07:29 PM

I had some fairly poor nights recently when Copernicus was near the terminator. Feature contrast was good but the detail was not observable. Nevertheless, as I reviewed the last three times I have had the pleasure of sketching the crater, the wonder of its features impressed me with a story. The sketches and story can be seen by going to the 'Whole Story' link on the Inspiration page of the site listed below my signature.

I also tried false color again, which I find interesting. I used shades of blue as a substitute for shades of grey on one of the sketches.

The three sketches were done at widely varying times (day, dusk, and night) and instruments. Detail is missing that has been so appropriately included in sketches by CN members who do much better than me, but it was still a real pleasure to observe. I remember all three observing periods.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Lessons studying Copernicus new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3859983 - 06/11/10 11:09 PM

Roland,

Beautiful sketching and inspiring words.
Although you say you didn't see a lot of detail you have beautifully captured the essence of Copernicus crater at 3 different times - all beautifully done.

Frank

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Lessons studying Copernicus new [Re: frank5817]
      #3860170 - 06/12/10 02:06 AM

Roland,

Excellent observations of Copernicus. This prominent crater on the Moon presents interesting views for us all. Your words are very inspirational. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Re: Lessons studying Copernicus new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3860754 - 06/12/10 01:52 PM

Many thanks, Carlos and Frank.

In the last week (on a mini-stacation and vacation) I have spent some time with J. Huerkamp and J Turner at our home or the video astronomy get- together in Luray VA. As a result, I had opportunity to sketch NGC 4627 (the Whale and her Pup), 4656 (The Hockey Stick), the "green" Comet C/2009 K5, and 7023 (The Iris Neb) on either 17.5 or 14 inch scopes (not mine). It was a real treat to see that well and get structure with the video astro tools. Will try to get them posted with a pertinent story in a couple weeks when the moon is high and bright.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 632

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics