Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Loren Toole
sage

Reged: 03/23/04

Loc: New Mexico USA
Media study- Posidonius crater
      #3861427 - 06/12/10 10:35 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

I spent a couple of weeks recently on a beach vacation, and had some time to experiment with different techniques and media. One of them is attached... sketches of Posidonius crater, based on a photo shown in Norths' "Observing the Moon".

For the sketch on the left, I used #2 and #4 pencils on art paper, this was my warmup sketch. I used a grid to improve the sketch accuracy, you can see some artifacts of that on the sketch.

The right sketch was my second attempt 4 days later using black construction paper and kid's white chalk sharpened to a working point. I used a blending stump and a eraser shield on this one. My conclusion: white on black paper is a great media for the moon. I intend to use this technique during the next lunar month for some real-time effort on interesting objects.

NOTE: the image scan doesn't do justice to my originals, it is too coarse displayed in this format.

Edited by Loren Toole (06/12/10 10:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Media study- Posidonius crater new [Re: Loren Toole]
      #3861557 - 06/13/10 12:35 AM

Loren,

These two sketches look great. You could likely go larger on the scanned images by a factor of 2-3.
The more you sketch using white on black paper the better you will like it.
Practice is a key element for success but I know I don't need to tell you that. Nice post.

Frank

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Media study- Posidonius crater new [Re: frank5817]
      #3861591 - 06/13/10 01:20 AM

Loren,

Both techniques produce excellent results. It will be up to you to decide which one produces a better representation of what you observe in the eyepiece. I look forward to your future observations with either technique.

Carlos

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics