Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
QS3000

Reged: 02/21/09

Loc: Southern California
Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? new
      #3869528 - 06/16/10 10:39 PM

Does anyone know what is the pinout on the AUX port of the CG5 mount? That's where the hand controller connects to. That pinout is supposed to be the same for the two AUX ports on the Celestron Auxiliary Port Accessory kit # 93965. I have been searching for hours and I only find the pinouts of the serial port of the HC, the autoguider, etc. I just need the AUX port on the mount only.

Thanks.
DrF

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? new [Re: QS3000]
      #3870075 - 06/17/10 08:56 AM

Good luck. I've been trying to find the same info for the CGEPro. By the looks of things, the only way to use external software (Starry Night, The Sky, etc..) is through the hand box port. Major design flaw on Celestron's part IMO.

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? new [Re: LLEEGE]
      #3870130 - 06/17/10 09:48 AM

I just found my answer. I don't know if this pertains to you but I'll tell you what I've learned: (I assume you are trying to connect to external software to run the mount in lieu of the hand box)
You are required to use the NextRemote software.
Connect to your mount via the PC port. You need to by it from Celestron or make your own.
In NextRemote, set the "virtual port" to a desired number. Configure your external software to look at that port.
No more need for a hand box connection to the mount.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? new [Re: LLEEGE]
      #3870190 - 06/17/10 10:23 AM Attachment (96 downloads)

The Aux port is the same and the HC port ... pin for pin identical. They are even wired in parallel.

External device connectivity is usually done through either of the two serial ports. One is on the base of the HC and the other is on some (but not the CG-5) mounts and is marked as a PC port. It is highly preferable to use these serial ports as the protocol is well known and being serial they are a bit more impervious to being abused with voltage on the wrong pins and such.

The HC and Aux ports are TTL level ports (and therefore are easily damaged electrically), the only devices produced by Celestron for them are the port expansion kit and the external GPS unit.

Pinouts ...

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #3870271 - 06/17/10 11:13 AM

Oh and if you want the functions of the pinouts and such the schematics are on the CGE-Uncensored group site on Yahoo, in the files section. You'll need to join the group to access the files. The CGE schematics are very very close to the CG-5 wiring so for things like these port assignments they will be interchangeable.

QS3000

Reged: 02/21/09

Loc: Southern California
Re: Pinout of the AUX port on a Celestron CG5 mount ?? [Re: mclewis1]
      #3870386 - 06/17/10 12:22 PM Attachment (127 downloads)

Thanks for the information. I am trying to connect an old GPS device with a 5V output to the AUX2 port of the Celestron Auxiliary Port Accessory kit # 93965. I need the actual signal names and so far I have found what the attached picture shows. I have verified the GND and +12V terminals but the CG5 does not communicate with the GPS that does not have RTS/CTS signals. I have used various ways to bypass the RTS/CTS protocol and so far nothing. But I don't quit...

DrF

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3002

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics