Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Crusader
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/05

Loc: Prince Albert, South Africa
Rupes Recta region
      #3877667 - 06/21/10 02:26 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

I'm not much of a lunar observer and haven't even tried sketching lunar features before.

Last night I took my newest telescope addition, a Skywatcher 6" f/8 Dob for a test drive. Since the Moon was the brightest object in the sky I gave it a go and spotted an interesting feature. Grabbed a paper and pencil and did a quick sketch for identification purposes.

Initially I thought I was just seeing an odd shadow, but afterwards using the sketch I could identify the feature as Rupes Recta, not a shadow, but an actual rille.

At least the sketch fulfilled its purpose...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: Crusader]
      #3877782 - 06/21/10 03:26 PM

Dear Crusader,

keep sketching! The first sketches are only raw outlines, but their are much better als no sketch at all. If you sketch you see more.
In a short time your sketches get better and better and the amount of seen detail also.

If youl look at the moon section of my astronomy pages you will find my first sketches similar to yous. You may check for yourself how things have changed in my sketching.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: Uwe Pilz]
      #3877805 - 06/21/10 03:42 PM

Crusader,

You have captured all the key elements of the Rupes Recta region. I see little Birt and Birt A on one side and Thebit and Arzachel on the other side.

Very nice.

Frank

CarlosEH
Postmaster

Reged: 01/19/05

Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County...
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: frank5817]
      #3879061 - 06/22/10 05:46 AM

Crusader,

You are well on your way in recording our nearest celestial neighbor and companion, the Moon. All lunar observations begin with an outline as you have provided. Lunar features and shadings are then gradually added to the sketch. You can learn a great deal by studying the lunar observations provided by the talented observers/artists on this forum. I have provided some links on lunar tutorials below.

Links;
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2007901/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1 (CN Lunar Sketching Tutorials)
http://www.popastro.com/moonwatch/moon_guide/observing6.php (excellent tutorial by lunar observer/author Peter Grego)
http://www.baalunarsection.org.uk/drawingjohnson.htm (An excellent tutorial on the BAA Lunar Section web site by Andrew Johnson)
http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/moon.pdf (Excellent tutorial by Daniel Mounsey)

Carlos

Crusader
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/05

Loc: Prince Albert, South Africa
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: CarlosEH]
      #3879236 - 06/22/10 08:43 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I'll see if I can hone my skills, but unlike star clusters I think you need much more artistic talent to do lunar sketching.

Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: Crusader]
      #3879315 - 06/22/10 09:41 AM

It are not artistic skills in a closer sense. You managed the first step: To draw areas an lines in the right for an size. The next step is to shadow the area, may be in a first step only raw. This gives a d impression. Shadings may refined later.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Rupes Recta region new [Re: Uwe Pilz]
      #3880042 - 06/22/10 03:53 PM

Crusader. Be warned before you make your second lunarsketch, it could be addictive And don't worry about artistic skills. I haven't any and still enjoy sketching the Moon a lot!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics