Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Celestron GM-11 new
      #3876691 - 06/21/10 12:37 AM

Anyone heard of this? Supposedly a Losmandy G-11. Is it upgradeable to go-to? Will it take upgraded worms? In good condition any idea of value?
Came across one and want to be fair (but may be out of my range), but don't know enough.
Thanks
Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Celestron GM-11 new [Re: WOBentley]
      #3876730 - 06/21/10 01:10 AM

Has to be post-1992 to take the worms, if memory serves.

You'll want to make sure it has two screws to lock the altitude setting. If it doesn't, HGM will retrofit for a reasonable fee.

Greg N

urbanMark
sage

Reged: 07/08/06

Loc: San Jose, CA
Re: Celestron GM-11 new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3881077 - 06/23/10 04:08 AM

I have an older G-11 that says "manufactured for Celestron by Losmandy". The mount is labeled "G-11" NOT "GM-11". Searching the Losmandy Yahoo group I can find reference to the "GM8" and the "G-11", but no "GM-11". Not to say there wasn't a GM-11, but I can't find it.

So, assuming what you have found is the "G-11" made by Losmandy for Celestron, then everything should be upgradable to current specs...but for the definitive answer, call Scott at Losmandy and ask. AFAIK the upgraded worms fit all G-11's, regardless of age.

If the mount has the Gemini controller, then it is likely the older style - which meas you will need a relay box or optocoupler when interfacing to most autoguiders - not a big deal.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Celestron GM-11 new [Re: urbanMark]
      #3881234 - 06/23/10 08:35 AM

You'll also want to upgrade the old Hurst motors to SAIA if it is the stepper mount, somewhere around $100 to $150 for both; brass worms if you want "better but not best" tracking in RA: $50 per axis; $300 if you want the Losmandy single worm block, for astro-photography; $500 if you want the Ovision, which currently has the most aftermarket parts; about $50 to get the second altitude lock, which is something of a "must" (requires trip to Hollywood General Machining); all these things are optional, the mount will work as is, but some of them make a difference. The SAIA motors keep the image steady at higher powers, no vibration, the second altitude lock keeps you from losing polar alignment; the worm gears are mainly a photography thing. But an older G11, not having these upgrades, if it does not have Gemini, should be discounted relative to more recent versions. Around a grand to 1100 would be reasonable territory given the hassles involved in getting it up to current specs.

You'll probably want a newer polar scope.

If you bought the stepper version new for example you would get the SAIA motors, you would get brass worms, you would get the second altitude lock, all for around $2200 to $2400 depending on options. You might sell it five years later for $1800.

You're looking at $500 or so in upgrades to get your older version up to the standards of a newer used model.

regards
Greg N

WOBentley
Deep Sky Denizen

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: Celestron GM-11 [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3881301 - 06/23/10 09:19 AM

Thanks All
This has been extremely useful!
Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 618

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics